St Cuthbert's Trail
Located at Brighton Bay Street, the St Cuthbert’s Trail is 2.8 kilometres long with a walking time of 50 minutes. The trail path has gentle undulations.
Following is a description of the properties along the route.
St Cuthbert's Architectural Trail (PDF, 856KB)
Former ES&A Bank (ANZ Bank)
Address: 279 Bay St, Brighton (cnr Asling St)
Style: Gothic Revival
Architects: Terry & Oakden
• Home to Brighton’s first bank (ES&A) from 1882 to 2002.
• ES&A merged with ANZ in 1970.
• Many ES&A banks were designed in Gothic Revival style by William Wardell, including the head office (Gothic Bank) in Collins Street, Melbourne which is executed in tuck-pointed brick.
Steeply sloped roof has gabled ends capped with unpainted cement render.
• Window and door heads painted and finished with cement render and adorned with flower motifs.
• A small portico projecting from the symmetric façade features the word ‘Bank’ embossed on either side, with other text formed in rendered panels.
Former Commercial Bank
Address: 282–284 Bay St, Brighton (cnr St Andrews St)
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: Lloyd Tayler
• Second bank in Brighton, relocated from corner of Bay and Cochrane Streets.
• Very large and grand for a suburban bank, demonstrating wealth of the area at that time.
• Rear and upper floor were originally a four-bedroom residence for the manager.
• Looks similar to a town hall and dominates the corner site.
• Uncharacteristically built with attached shop and residence in matching style.
Address: 125 St Andrews St, Brighton
Style: Neo Modern
Architect: Luke Middleton (EME Group)
• Incorporates four townhouses that demonstrate EME Group’s commitment to water reduction
Fitted with two 10,000-litre water tanks to flush toilets and water gardens.
• Environmental sustainability has influenced design.
• Building oriented to the north to allow passive solar gain, with double-glazed windows used to reduce heat transfer.
• Design responds to surrounding commercial and residential dwellings in a playful manner and includes reinterpretation of a Victorian-style verandah, contrasted with a solid building form.
Address: 12 Middle Cres, Brighton
• Built for dairyman W. Durrant, Seagrove, it is an example of pisé construction (or rammed earth), consisting of beach sand, lime and beach stones.
• Featured in the book Early Melbourne Architecture 1840–1888.
• Built when neat villas were replacing vernacular cottages of the 1850s.
• Single-storey Victorian villa with a concave-profile verandah supported on coupled timber posts.
• Large Moreton Bay fig (Ficus macrophylla) in the front garden may be as old as the house.
• Provides a rare glimpse into middle-class life of the 1880s..
Address: 6 William St, Brighton
Architect: Unknown, (possibly Charles Webb)
• Built for merchant Robert Wilson
• Dominated by a distinctive classical portico with black-and-white marble floor tiles.
• Stands above others in the area and visible from a distance.
• Window decoration includes cast-iron balconettes and architrave mouldings
• Upper floor is notably restrained compared with lower floor.
• Building exterior is rendered brick with ashlar coursing; fine lines ruled in the render that give an appearance of stonework.
• Appears never to have been painted, but recently renovated in keeping with its original state.
• Robert Wilson lived in the house until 1887, then leased to Andrew Jack.
• The Jack family is memorialised in the Lych Gates at St Andrews Church, New Street, Brighton (1857) and the Former Congregational Church, Black Street, Brighton (1875).
• Appears never to have been painted, but recently renovated in keeping with original state..
St Cuthbert’s Presbyterian Church
Address: 10 Wilson St, Brighton
Style: Gothic Revival
Architect: Evander McIvor
• Replaced original and smaller Presbyterian church built to serve the bayside parish from St Kilda to Cheltenham in 1880.
• Fine example of a bichrome Gothic Revival church.
• Horizontal red brick banding enlivens the façade and elaborately decorated doorways create a human scale to the street.
• Stained-glass windows and Fincham organ are notable.
• Four rendered finials project from the gabled square entrance to the east of the church, matching the tall spire finials and contributing to a lively skyline.
Sits on a high point in Brighton as a prominent marker from the surrounding streets.
Brighton Town Hall
Address: 30 Wilson St, Brighton (cnr Carpenter St)
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architects: Wilson & Beswicke (1885–86), Oakley & Parkes (1933)
Date: 1885–86, 1933
• Originally housed the Municipal Offices and the Courthouse.
• Characteristic of many town halls built in this era in Victoria.
• Controversial for exceeding £6,000 budget by £2,000.
• Renaissance Revival pilastered façades, prominent tower with clock, balustraded parapet and French Second Empire mansard roof.
• Similar in design to Malvern Town Hall, with corner tower.
Double-height hall with projecting cast-iron portico hosted many great balls, weddings and receptions.
• Oakley & Parkes designed alterations to the interior in 1933 and, 20 years later, Council Chambers to the rear.
Brighton Civic Centre (City of Brighton Council Offices, City of Bayside Municipal Library)
Address: 15 Boxshall St, Brighton
Architect: K F Knight (Oakley & Parkes)
• Built to celebrate Brighton’s centenary in 1959 and unusual for its time.
• Considered influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright’s Usonian style and Guggenheim Museum in New York (a link rejected by the architect).
• Sits opposite the Brighton Town Hall, highlighting progression in municipal patronage over 73 years.
• Distinctive cylindrical drum has three bands of brickwork, each projecting slightly from the one below, all seemingly supported on a glass ring.
• Strong, horizontal lines.
• Projecting flat concrete roof of the ground floor enables building to feel less overwhelming and connects circular section with the square section.
• Industrial designer Grant Featherston, forerunner of the post World War II industrial design movement in Australia, designed the peacock blue interior and accompanying furniture.
• Cork oak tree (Quercus suber) on the Boxhall Street boundary is estimated to be nearly 100 years old.
Address: 61 St Andrews St, Brighton
Style: Vernacular, Edwardian
Early bluestone cottage nestled on a corner allotment, originally surrounded by land holdings that extend to the rear.
• Contractor Robert Gall listed as owner/occupant in 1861 (the year of Brighton’s first rate-books).
• Originally built with randomly coursed bluestone which was unusual in Brighton and transported from across the Bay.
• Changes since construction include timber additions at the rear, changes to windows and terracotta-tiled roof flowing onto a verandah supported by turned timber posts, typical of Edwardian period.
• The original element of this charming, simple cottage represents a rare surviving example of mid–19th Century housing in Bayside..
Address: 56 Middle Crescent, Brighton
Style: Neo Modern
Architects: Crone Nation
• Cubic in form, highlights contemporary use of contrasting materials and colours.
• Materials create definition between sections - from rendered front walls to sheet cladding on the upper storey.
• Upper level sheet cladding and windows interestingly set on an angle.
• Timber-slatted fence introduces a natural, organic element to otherwise industrial, hardedged design.
Address: 8 Parliament St, Brighton
• Reflective of hundreds of small double-fronted timber cottages built in Melbourne in the late 19th Century, often featuring hipped roof with a bracketed eave, ‘ashlar’ boards (imitation stone square blocks) on front façade and front verandah.
• Four-bedroom cottage with grand design featuring bell-curve shaped roof, rich cast iron work and tall, arched and pedimented entry portico.
• Striking verandah may be original or added in the boom years of the 1880s as a response to emergence of ubiquitous Brighton towered mansions.
• Recently painted in sympathetic colours that accentuate its ornate features.
• Picket fence in complementary style completes the picture..
Address: 104 Bay St, Brighton (cnr Parliament St)
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architects: Treeby & Cutler
• Opened by local resident and Chief Justice of Victoria, the Hon. George Higinbotham as Brighton’s Public Library, later known as Higinbotham Hall, on 7 May 1887.
• Higinbotham Hall served as a library until June 1978 when service was relocated to the Brighton Town Hall.
• Substantial and ornate symmetrical Renaissance Revival two-storey building.
• Street façade has projecting entry porch, with balcony above and arched windows with modelled keystones on the first floor.
• Set of windows opening onto balcony over entrance are known as ‘Serlian Motif’, from the 16th Century Italian architect Serlio.
• Side elevations are plainer, with simple round arched windows.
• Similar in style to Brighton Town Hall and built one year later, Higinbotham Hall is home to the Brighton Dance Academy and other community organisations..
Page last updated: 10 Sep 2013