Children playing in flooded bayside street

Emergency information

This page provides information and services regarding emergencies in Bayside.

Financial and material assistance

The Victorian and Australian governments are offering assistance for people affected by floods.

The Department of Human Services grants

The grants are means tested and they include:

  • temporary living expenses
  • re-establishing structures
  • re-establishing content grants

If you would like to obtain a grant please call 1300 842 737.

The Australian Government disaster recovery payment

This payment is available for persons that have no power for greater than 48 hours, are isolated in their home, stranded or unable to return to their homes, or have suffered significant structural damage.

Additionally, a Disaster Income Recovery Subsidy is available for persons who have suffered a loss of income and earn less than $800 per person per fortnight for couples or $827 per fortnight for singles.

To obtain more information please call the Australian Government Emergency Information line on 180 2266.

[back to top]


Residents that have been affected by the recent floods are encouraged to seek the advice of qualified counsellors.

The following organisations are able to provide counselling services to those affected by an emergency:

Bentleigh Bayside Community Health Gardeners Road, Bentleigh East
03 9575 5353
Family Life 197 Bluff Road, Sandringham
03 8599 5433
Bayside Community Information and Support Service 12 Katoomba Street, Hampton East
03 9555 9910
Lifeline 13 11 14
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
Australian Red Cross Info: 1800 246 850
Donate: 1800 811 700

Latest weather information

For the latest weather warning information visit the Bureau of Meteorology's website or call 1300 659 217

Road closures

For information on road closures call VicRoads 131 170 or visit the VicRoads website 

[back to top]


  • Stay clear of any fallen powerlines and ensure they are reported to Bayside's electricity provider United Energy, immediately on 132 099 
  • If you notice any other such hazards such a branches lying across power lines, maintain a safe distance and ensure you report the fault.
  • Report any storm water hazards to Council on 9599 4444 after hours. For anything non urgent (not threatening life or property or blocking access to roads or your address)you can fill in an online form
  • Make sure your children and pets are indoors during storm activity. If any escape contact Council on 9599 4444 after hours
  • Park your car under cover and away from trees. Fallen limbs can cause extensive damage to vehicles. Be aware that trees have been very stressed due to the prolonged drought conditions.
  • If you are outdoors during storm or wind activity, find a solid structure to shelter under.
  • If you experience a power outage use battery operated lanterns instead of candles. If you must use candles, ensure they are in a fire-proof holder and never leave them unattended. For information on power outages visit the United Energy website or call 132099
  • If you are without power, ensure that all household appliances are switched off before power is returned. Further information is available from the SES website
  • How to be prepared for power outages

[back to top]


  • When it is likely that flooding will occur, take the follow action immediately.
  • Tune your radio to 774 ABC local radio for emergency information and advice.
  • Check that your neighbours are safe and aware.
  • Stack possessions on benches and tables with electrical goods in the highest places.
  • Secure objects that are likely to float and cause damage.
  • Relocate waste containers, chemicals and poisons well above floor level.
  • Locate important papers, valuables and mementoes and put them in your emergency kit.
  • Business owners should raise stock, records and equipment on benches and tables.
  • Sheds and outbuildings should be checked with contents moved to higher ground.
  • If isolation is likely, have enough non-perishable food, essential medications, fuel and other necessities to last at least a week.
  • Do not forget pet food.
  • View the Red Cross flood clean up information booklet for tips on how to clean up your property after flooding.

[back to top]

Bush, scrub and grass fires - Emergency Information from the MFB

[back to top]

Municipal Emergency Management Plan

The broad objectives of the Municipal Emergency Management Plan are to implement measures to prevent or reduce the causes or effects of emergencies, manage resource allocation in response to emergencies, manage the support offered from adjoining municipalities and assist the community in recovery efforts.

The Municipal Emergency Management Plan details the arrangement for the management of municipal resources and coordinating community support during the response and recovery phases. This includes providing emergency relief to controlling authorities and affected persons during the response phase, providing supplementary supply (resources) to control and relief agencies during response and recovery phase, providing assistance to agencies during the response to and recovery from emergencies, providing an assessment of the impact of the emergency, and working with the Department of Human Services during response and recovery phase.

Municipal Emergency Management Plans are routinely audited every three years. Our MEMP will be audited this year in October, and is located here for residents to view.

Page last updated: 25 Aug 2015