Winding road


If you are experiencing problems with stormwater runoff, contact Council on 03 9599 4444.

Council will investigate complaints and can require property owners to undertake works to minimise nuisances.

The range of assistance includes:

  • advice on stormwater problems
  • investigation of requests or complaints concerning stormwater issues
  • technical advice on Council standards for drainage
  • issuing of legal points of discharge – where stormwater from properties can be discharged
  • issuing of permits authorising connections to Council drains
  • approving applications to build over easements
  • checking subdivisions and development proposals for drainage requirements.

Legal point of discharge

Stormwater falling on any building or development must be collected and directed through underground pipes to a legal point of discharge. This is normally:

  • a Council drain in the street
  • a Council drain in an easement
  • a private drain if suitable
  • a Melbourne Water main drain, if permission is obtained.

Individual houses, dual occupancies or small shops may pipe the stormwater to the kerb and channel in the street adjacent to the property if there are no underground drains nearby.

For the location of the legal point of discharge for individual properties, contact Council on 03 9599 4444.

Wherever possible, stormwater shall flow under gravity in pipes and not be pumped, unless agreed to by Infrastructure staff beforehand. For minor areas a pumped discharge may be considered but it must connect into Council's underground drainage system; the details are to be resolved with Infrastructure staff beforehand.

Approved stormwater pipe materials:

  • reinforced concrete, class 2 rubber ring joints
  • cast iron, complying with AS1631
  • class 12 UPVC complying with AS3500.1

Minimum pipe sizes should be:

  • from houses or multi-unit development – 100mm diameter
  • from grating pits or trench grates – 150mm diameter
  • under the road pavement – 300mm diameter


Permits are required for any excavation in the street or for connecting to a Council drain/kerb and channels.

Permit applications can be submitted via email to, in person at Council's Corporate Centre, 76 Royal Avenue, Sandringham, from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or via post to PO Box 27, Sandringham, VIC 3191.

Page last updated: 12 Jul 2016