Elwood Life Saving Club
The first life saving club in Victoria was established at Point Ormond, Elwood in 1911. The Club's founding members pushed for change in legislation to allow 'open sea' and 'mixed sea' bathing.
Until these changes were made, sea bathing could only be done inside the many enclosed 'bathing houses' which dotted the shoreline of Port Phillip Bay.
Picture: Reg No. SK1193, Port Phillip City Collection
Page last updated: 13 Dec 2010