Green Point – with its lawns, gardens and vista of Port Phillip Bay and the Melbourne city skyline – has always been a major attraction for residents and visitors.
When the railway line reached Brighton Beach in 1859, the whole foreshore area soon became a most desirable destination, and for many years both train and tram lines terminated here. The area drew large crowds eager to enjoy the hotel, cafes, sea baths, pier and the formal and informal gardens.
Carnivals were popular with both holiday makers and day trippers. In 1879 work started on designing the formal lawns and garden. This work included a Tea-tree planting project, public conveniences, a band rotunda and a kiosk.
The Cenotaph war memorial was built in 1927 and was used for ANZAC day services for many years. In 1930 Brighton City Council carried out a major extension of Green Point using Sustenance workers (also known as ‘Sussos’), who built stone walls and rock facings to protect the area and stop erosion.
A stone projection was built to protect the beach and this carried a sign warning not to swim there because of a notorious ‘whirlpool’ effect. After a tragic mishap, this sign was replaced with a larger sign warning of the danger in many different languages.
The annual Bright’n’Sandy Food and Wine Festival continues the celebratory usage of Green Point begun by those popular carnivals so many years ago.
Page last updated: 10 Dec 2010