Sandringham Band Rotunda
Built in 1926, when outdoor band concerts provided popular entertainment, the Sandringham Band Rotunda could accommodate 25 musicians on the upper level, which commanded a fine view of the audience.
Gardens were created and palm trees planted beside the rotunda, which became a notable feature of the landscape.By the early 1980s Council became concerned at the deterioration of the Rotunda and considered demolition.
At this point, the then Mayor argued that every city had its icon – Paris had the Eiffel Tower and Sandringham had the Rotunda, which should be repaired and remain on the cliff top. The State Government contributed $2,500 while Council and others worked to raise several thousand dollars toward the cost of refurbishment.
Celebrations in 1985 marked the restoration of the landmark, which is now considered to be of aesthetic and historical significance.
In the late 1980s the Rotunda gained new importance when the Mayor of the day organised the creation of a huge jigsaw puzzle made from a photograph of school children in front of the Rotunda. Each piece of this jigsaw puzzle was sold in order to raise money for the Children’s Aid Society.
A copy of the photograph is reproduced in the local history, Bayside Reflections, and the great original picture adorns the entrance to the Sandringham and District Historical Society.
Page last updated: 10 Dec 2010