Skip to main content

Pensioner concession for rates

Pensioners with appropriate concession cards are eligible for a rebate of 50% of rates and charges up to a maximum of $247 per year plus $50 off the fire services levy. This rebate is only applicable where the property is the sole or principal place of residence of the applicant.


To be able to claim a concession on your rates and charges you must ensure that:

  • Your concession card must be valid at the time of application.
  • You are the person responsible for payment of the account.
  • Your name is on the rate notice.
  • Your name and address on the account must match that on the concession card, and the address must be your principal place of residence.

Eligible cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card - Issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card - War Widow (WW)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card - Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

Please note that health care and seniors cards are not accepted.

Apply for the concession

Please complete the application and include a copy of the front and back of your concession card.

    Email your application to:

    Post your application to: Bayside City Council, PO Box 27, Sandringham VIC 3191

    Veterans' Affairs Gold Card

    If you hold a Veterans' Affairs Gold Card for:

    • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
    • Prisoner of War (POW)

    EDA & POW Gold Card holders municipal rates concessions are administered via a rebate by the Department of Health & Human Services.

    For further information please call the concession information line on 1800 658 521 

    The Fire Services Property Levy Act 2012 provides a $50 concession on an eligible EDA and POW cardholder’s principal place of residence for the fire services levy. Please contact Revenue Services on 9599 4444 for further information. 

    For further information

    Please go to