What is the Artists Studio Program?
The program supports the development of new works by contemporary artists in the garden setting of Billilla historic mansion at 26 Halifax Street, Brighton, and also aims to:
- Create opportunities for community connections with contemporary artists.
- Provide the Bayside community opportunities to participate in local contemporary art projects.
- Encourage appreciation of arts and culture within the local community.
- Utilise art as a platform for engaging the community.
We accept artist applications each year and 7 studio placements are offered to successful applicants for 12 months from July to June annually.
Artists Studio Program 2018–2019
We are pleased to announce the following studio placements at Billilla this year.
|Melissa Manning||Writer||Laundry studio|
|Ara Dolatian||Visual artist||Parr studio|
|Kimberly Barry||Visual artist||Grainger studio|
|Jw (Joiwind) Lowe||Visual artist||Traill studio|
|Daniel Jenatsch||Composer & sound designer||Beckett studio|
|Tamara Tallent||Visual Artist||Tayler studio|
|Hayley Lawson-Smith||Writer||Marshall studio|
Many thanks to each of the artists who completed expressions of interest in gaining a placement at Billilla mansion studios. We received many high quality and deserving submissions and we would like to convey well wishes in future endeavours to all applicants.
The artist studios are located on the grounds of historic Billilla Mansion in the servants quarters. Many of the studios are named after prominent local artists:
- Beckett studio - Clarice Beckett, visual artist
- Grainger studio - Percy Grainger, composer
- Marshall studio - Alan Marshall, writer
- Parr studio - Lenton Parr, visual artist
- Tayler studio - Lloyd Tayler, visual artist.
- Laundry studio has held on to its historic name.