What is the Artist in Residence program?
The program supports the development of new works by contemporary artists in the garden setting of Billilla historic mansion at 26 Halifax Street, Brighton, and also aims to:
- Create opportunities for community connections with contemporary artists.
- Provide the Bayside community opportunities to participate in local contemporary art projects.
- Encourage appreciation of arts and culture within the local community.
- Utilise art as a platform for engaging the community.
We accept artist applications each year and 8 residencies are offered to successful applicants for 12 months from July to June annually.
Artist in Residence open day
Thank you to those who came to our Open Studios on 8 April, if you would like to stay informed of our Artist in Residence public programs for 2017/2018 please register for our Arts and Culture eNewsletter.
Image: Yuria Okamura, visual artist, Tayler studio (in residence 2016 - 2017)
Artist in Residence 2017–2018
Bayside City Council is pleased to announce the following artists in residence at Billilla this year.
|Troy Innocent||Visual artist||Laundry studio|
|Adam Stone||Visual artist||Parr studio|
|David Brooks||Filmmaker||Grainger studio|
|Carmel Seymour||Visual artist||Traill studio|
|Stephanie Leigh||Visual artist||Beckett studio|
|Carmel Wallace||Visual Artist||Tayler studio|
|Michelle Deans||Writer||Marshall studio|
Many thanks to each of the artists who completed expressions of interest in gaining a residency at the Billilla mansion studios. We received many high quality and deserving submissions and we would like to convey well wishes in future endeavours to all applicants.
The artist studios are located on the grounds of historic Billilla Mansion in the servants quarters. Many of the studios are named after prominent local artists:
- Beckett studio - Clarice Beckett, visual artist
- Grainger studio - Percy Grainger, composer
- Marshall studio - Alan Marshall, writer
- Parr studio - Lenton Parr, visual artist
- Sievers studio - Wolfgang Sievers, visual artist
- Tayler studio - Lloyd Tayler, visual artist.
- Laundry studio has held on to it's historic name.
Discuss the program
To discuss the program or your application, please contact:
Contact the Cultural Development Officer
Phone: (03) 9599 4444 during business hours
Email: artevents [at] bayside.vic.gov.au