Go to top of page

Asset protection

The City of Bayside’s asset protection program is designed to ensure that the valuable infrastructure assets (like footpaths, nature strips, kerb and channels, trees, signs, stormwater drains, and road pavement) and the environment of Bayside is protected from damage as a result of building and construction activities.

When carrying out demolition works, constructing a new building or undertaking renovations, the majority of the works will involve the movement of building materials to and from the property, which has the potential to damage Council assets in the vicinity of the site.

To ensure that the assets are protected or repaired if damaged, Council requires that an Asset Protection Permit be obtained at least seven (7) days prior to the commencement of any building activity on the site.

This includes a non-refundable fee and it may also be necessary for a security deposit to be lodged with Council. This will be used to reinstate any damage caused by the building works, where the builder/contractor has not carried out the necessary repairs to the satisfaction of Council. In determining the amount of security deposit, Council takes into consideration the extent of the works and the subsequent potential for damage.

Permit applications

Road opening permit application (PDF, 281.49KB)

Storm water tapping permit (PDF, 280.43KB)

Vehicle crossing permit (PDF, 524.45KB)

Crane and cherry picker permit (PDF, 177.02KB)

Hoarding or occupation of the road application form (PDF, 294.11KB)

Building over easement permit

Asset protection permit process

The permit process is as follows:

  1. On notification of proposed works by the relevant building surveyor, a Council Officer conducts an initial inspection of the building site and surrounds to record, by photographs and notations, the existing condition of Council assets.
  2. The value of the security deposit is determined and the form and invoice are posted to the relative person.
  3. On notification of the completion of works, a final inspection is undertaken and the current asset condition is compared with the pre-construction asset condition. Any damage caused by the building works, that has not been satisfactorily repaired, is recorded.
  4. Advice is then given to the applicant if any action is required. Upon satisfactory completion of the works, all or part of the deposit is refunded.


  • Building works, and the transportation of building materials, machinery and equipment, must not commence prior to an Asset Protection Permit being issued.
  • Property owners will be held liable for the full cost of reinstatement of damaged assets associated with building works that have not been covered by an asset protection security deposit.
  • A permit is required to store materials, occupy land or erect a hoarding on Council land such as the footpath or nature strip.
  • A permit must be obtained from Council for all vehicular crossing. Download a vehicle crossing permit application to apply.
  • A permit is required where it is proposed to connect into Bayside's stormwater drainage system including kerb and channel.  Download a storm water tapping permit application (PDF, 280.43KB) to apply.
  • A permit is required to excavate in a road, nature strip or footpath for any purpose, e.g. sewer, stormwater or water connection. Download the road opening permit application (PDF, 281.49KB) to apply.
  • Site identification is required, showing the address of the site, the name and address of the builder, and a 24 hour contact number.

Legal point of discharge

Stormwater falling on any building or development must be collected and directed through underground pipes to a legal point of discharge. This is normally:

  • a Council drain in the street
  • a Council drain in an easement
  • a private drain if suitable
  • a Melbourne Water main drain, if permission is obtained.

Individual houses, dual occupancies or small shops may pipe the stormwater to the kerb and channel in the street adjacent to the property if there are no underground drains nearby.

Submit online

Legal point of discharge request form

Wherever possible, stormwater shall flow under gravity in pipes and not be pumped, unless agreed to by Infrastructure staff beforehand. For minor areas a pumped discharge may be considered but it must connect into Council's underground drainage system; the details are to be resolved with Infrastructure staff beforehand.

Approved stormwater pipe materials:

  • reinforced concrete, class 2 rubber ring joints
  • cast iron, complying with AS1631
  • class 12 UPVC complying with AS3500.1

Minimum pipe sizes should be:

  • from houses or multi-unit development: 100mm diameter
  • from grating pits or trench grates: 150mm diameter
  • under the road pavement: 300mm diameter

For more information contact the Asset Protection Department by filling out the online form or calling (03) 9599 4444 in business hours.