Why do we need the study?
The Heritage Action Plan 2017 identified that suburbs in Bayside’s south are underrepresented in the heritage overlay, in particular Beaumaris. Mid-century modern architecture contributes to this area’s historical development and contributes to the liveability and character valued by the community.
Previous heritage studies undertaken have identified a number of properties which are considered to have potential heritage significance but currently do not have heritage protection. The mid-century modern heritage study will reassess the possible heritage significance of these properties and also identify other places which may also have heritage significance. The study will ensure that we can meet our obligations under the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to conserve and enhance those buildings, areas or other places which are of scientific, aesthetic, architectural or historical interest or of special cultural value.
What happens next?
We will now commence the mid-century modern heritage study. Direct notification to property owners of places identified for inclusion in the study will occur once the draft study is prepared.
The stages of the study are:
- We prepare mid-century modern heritage study
- We consult with the public on the study
- We request a Council decision on whether to adopt the study
- A planning scheme amendment to implement the findings is prepared. This will place permanent heritage controls on the properties identified.
A further opportunity to make submissions will occur as part of the planning scheme amendment.
What is the Heritage Action Plan?
The Heritage Action Plan guides our heritage work program for 10 years. The Plan ensures we can:
- Identify and protect Bayside’s heritage for the benefit of current and future generations
- Address Council’s legislative responsibilities for the protection of heritage places
- Have a clear heritage work program for the identification, protection, management and promotion of Bayside’s heritage assets for the coming 10 years.
The Heritage Action Plan 2017 is available from our heritage documents page.
How can I stay up to date?
If you would like to receive notification about the status of the mid-century modern study, you can subscribe to email updates.
You can also get in touch with our Strategic Planning Department by:
planningstrategy [at] bayside.vic.gov.au (subject: Beaumaris%20heritage%20review%20in%20Bayside)
(03) 9599 4341