Go to top of page

Asset protection

Our asset protection program is designed to ensure that the valuable infrastructure assets (like footpaths, nature strips, kerb and channels, trees, signs, stormwater drains, and road pavement) and the environment of Bayside is protected from damage as a result of building and construction activities.

When carrying out demolition works, constructing a new building or undertaking renovations, the majority of the works will involve the movement of building materials to and from the property, which has the potential to damage Council assets in the vicinity of the site.

To ensure that the assets are protected or repaired if damaged, we require an asset protection permit be obtained at least 7 days prior to the commencement of any building activity on the site.

This includes a non-refundable fee and it may also be necessary for a security deposit to be lodged with us. This will be used to reinstate any damage caused by the building works, where the builder/contractor has not carried out the necessary repairs. In determining the amount of security deposit, we take into consideration the extent of the works and the subsequent potential for damage.

Permit applications

When is a permit required?

  • A hoarding permit is required to store materials, occupy land or erect a hoarding on Council land such as the footpath or nature strip.
  • A vehicle crossing permit must be obtained for all vehicular crossing.
  • A stormwater tapping permit is required where it is proposed to connect into Bayside's stormwater drainage system including kerb and channel.
  • A road opening permit is required to excavate in a road, nature strip or footpath for any purpose, e.g. sewer, stormwater or water connection.
  • Site identification is required, showing the address of the site, the name and address of the builder, and a 24-hour contact number.

Asset protection permit process

The permit process is as follows:

  1. On notification (known as Section 80 Notification or Section 29A Demolition) from the Relevant Building Surveyor of proposed building works that are subject to the requirement of a Building Permit, a Council Asset Protection Officer conducts an initial inspection of the street alignment (ie. Council's assets, footpath, nature strip etc) to record, by photographs and notations, the existing condition of those Council assets;
  2. The value of the security deposit is determined and the Asset Protection Permit application is sent to the property owner.
  3. If you require the application sooner, ie. swimming pool or demo, please contact the Asset Protection Department on 9599 4444.
  4. On notification of the completion of works, the final inspection will be undertaken and the current asset condition is compared with the pre-construction asset condition. Any damage caused by the building works, that has not been satisfactorily repaired, is recorded.
  5. Advice is then given to the applicant in writing if any action is required. Upon satisfactory completion of the works, all or part of the deposit is refunded.

Request your refund

Download the form and submit your refund request.

Asset protection final inspection and bond refund application (PDF, 453.63KB)

When can works commence?

Building works, and the transportation of building materials, machinery and equipment, must not commence prior to an asset protection permit being issued.

Who is responsible for work not covered by the deposit?

Property owners will be held liable for the full cost of reinstatement of damaged assets associated with building works that have not been covered by an asset protection security deposit.

    For more information contact our Asset Protection Department by calling (03) 9599 4444 in business hours.