How are rates calculated?
They are calculated by multiplying your property’s value, by Bayside’s total rates divided by the total value of all Bayside properties.
The average rates and municipal charge payable in Bayside this year is $1,755.17 or $4.80 per day.
We comply with the Victorian Government’s rate cap of 2%. The cap applies to the average annual increase of rates and municipal charge.
Charges on your rate notice
This charge helps to cover administrative costs and applies to all properties equally, irrespective of value. It is subject to the rate cap.
This pays for the weekly garbage, fortnightly recycling and garden waste, and hard rubbish collection. It also covers cleaning and waste management in public areas such as street sweeping, street bins and beach cleaning.
Fire services levy
This is a Victorian State Government charge used to fund fire services that we are required to collect. Each property pays a flat amount plus a variable amount based on the value of the property. To find out more go to the Fire Services Property Levy website.
How your rates support our community
We provide more than 100 services, here's how every $100 is spent:
- Capital works $35.00
- Roads and drainage $12.10
- Planning and amenity $11.10
- Parks and leisure $10.50
- Property and facilities $8.50
- Environment and waste $8.10
- Aged services $7.80
- Libraries, art and culture $4.40
- Family services $2.50
Some key services at a glance
- 17km of beaches and foreshore reserves cleaned and maintained
- 355km of local roads maintained
- 84,000 public trees maintained in streets, parks and reserves
- 125,000 hours of in home support provided
- 30,000 meals delivered
- 17,000 maternal child health consultations
- More than 1 million library items borrowed
- 3.7 million bins collected
- Over 1900 food safety inspections
- On average 5 lost pets returned home each week