fbpx Register a food business | Bayside City Council Go to top of page

Register a food business

Register a new food business

If you're opening a new food premise or wish to serve food as part of your accommodation service in Bayside, you need to apply for a food permit.

For more detailed information, download the new food premises information kit (PDF, 7.63MB).

Register a new food premises

Every food business proprietor who prepares and/or stores food for sale has a legal obligation to notify or register under the Food Act 1984 with the relevant local Council. The Food Act 1984 defines four different Classes of food premises, each with independent registration and notification requirements. To find out which Class your food business falls into, please contact our Environmental Health Unit on (03) 9599 4417.

To ensure premises will comply with the requirements of the food safety standards, Council offers a plans approval service for the proposed premises (or renovations/improvements to existing premises) and providing advice before construction commences. This service is useful in helping proprietors avoid having to make costly alterations once construction has started or been completed. If plans are not submitted, any works undertaken must comply with the Food Safety Standards.

You should only apply for this food business registration once the fit out and internal works are completed, and the business is ready to trade.

Register to open a new food business

Plans assessment process

Our Environmental Health Officers can assist in the preparation of plans for a new food premise. For further information to assist you, food premises design and construction specifications (PDF, 3.78MB).

  1. To have your plans assessed, submit our online food premise assessment form along with your plans and fee prior to the commencement of any works.
  2. The plan will be reviewed and endorsed by an Environmental Health Officer with specific conditions in accordance with the Food Safety Standards of Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code.
  3. If the plans submitted require an amendment or information has been omitted the applicant will be notified in writing to provide further information and to resubmit an amended copy of the plans.
  4. Once the plans have been approved, an endorsed copy of the plans along with a letter of conditions will be forwarded to the applicant.
  5. Work should commence once the plans have been endorsed by the Environmental Health Officer.
  6. Progress inspections may be carried out throughout the project to ensure compliance with the endorsed plans.

Applying for a Food Act 1984 Registration Certificate

A final inspection is required of the food premises prior to Council issuing of a Certificate of Food Act Registration.

  • At the final inspection, the Environmental Health Officer will provide an Application for Registration Food Act 1984.
  • The Application for Registration Food Act 1984 together with the appropriate fee must be forwarded to Bayside City Council prior to commencing operations.

For most food premise types, a food safety program and a nominated and qualified Food Safety Supervisor are required to process your Application for Registration Food Act 1984.

Our Environmental Health Officers can offer on-site advice prior to signing a premises lease. Please contact the Council's Environmental Health department on (03) 9599 4417 for further information.

For further information regarding food regulation, Food Safety Supervisor competencies or to get a food safety program visit the Victorian State Government Food Safety website

Prior to Registration or Notification under the Food Act 1984, you will need to contact council's Building and Planning Departments, to ensure your business has the appropriate permits to operate.

Back to top

Food business registration fees

Registration forms are mailed to shop proprietors in November and payment is due by 31 December each year.

Category 1

Nursing homes or aged care centres, child care centres, hospitals, special accommodation, meals on wheels.

The cost is $640.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 2

Food manufacturers of high risk foods, supermarkets, hotels, food kitchens, caterers, restaurants, bakery, cake sales, cafes, takeaways, delicatessens, food canteens high risk, juice bars, function centres, bed and breakfast high risk, mobile food vehicles high risk, sporting clubs high risk.

The cost is $630.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 3

Fruit and vegetable sales, convenience stores, ice cream sales, food canteens low risk, food manufacturers low risk, mixed businesses, cake decorators, sporting clubs low risk, kiosks, health food stores, mobile food vehicles low risk, bed and breakfast low risk.

The cost is $420.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 4

Liquor shops, low risk packaged foods.

No charge, notification only.

Category 5

Temporary food premises for one off promotional, festival and other events not otherwise covered, packaged food >2M2 and/or requiring food safety plans, school canteens.

The cost is $188.00.

Category 6

Temporary food premises for festivals and other community events not otherwise covered.

The cost is $105.00.

Late fee

Please note a 50% late fee applies to all the above registration fees. The list of fees and charges are also subject to change.

Class 4 premises exempt from requiring registration

A Class 4 food premises is no longer required to register on a yearly basis with Council; under recent changes to the Food Act 1984, you must only notify the council.

You will be a Class 4 food premises and only need to notify Council if your only food-handling activities include the following:

  • The sale of shelf-stable, pre-packaged, low-risk food such as confectionery, crisps, frozen ice cream, milk and bottled drinks (e.g. newsagents, pharmacies, video stores and some milk bars).
  • The sale of packaged alcohol, for example bottle shops.
  • The sale of uncut fruit and vegetables, for example farmers markets, green grocers and wholesalers.
  • Wine tasting (which can include serving low risk food and cheese).
  • The sale of packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes).
  • The supply of low-risk food, including cut fruit, at sessional kindergarten or child care.

For a full list of Class 4 activities, visit the Department of Health website.

Transfer of food business registration

When ownership of a premise changes, the new proprietor must submit a completed Application for Transfer of Registration form and applicable fee (50% of the annual registration fee) to Bayside City Council.

Property enquiry

A prospective purchaser or solicitor acting on his/her behalf may request a report detailing any outstanding requirements and/or orders for an existing business. A consent to disclose information from the current proprietor is required prior to the release of the information.

A property enquiry fee of $285.00 is applicable. The standard response time is 10 working days, however if an urgent response is required a fee of $551.00 will be applicable. Urgent responses will be provided within 4 working days.

On receipt of the request, consent and appropriate fee, a Council Environmental Health Officer will conduct an inspection of the premises.

A report will be prepared and mailed together with an Application for Transfer of Registration to the person requesting the report.

A copy of the report will also be forwarded to the registered proprietor of the premises.

The following forms should be completed to release business information:

Annual registration fee

To confirm the applicable registration fee, contact our Environmental Health Department on (03) 9599 4417.

Free online food handler program

A free online learning program for food handlers is available on the Department of Health website.

Back to top

Application for temporary and mobile food premises

From 1 July 2011, a state-wide registration and notification scheme for temporary and mobile food premises applies under the Food Act 1984. All temporary and mobile food businesses are affected by these changes.

Under the state-wide registration system, one council in Victoria must be primarily responsible for approving your operations. This is the "principal council".

The "principal council" is:

  • The district in which your food business prepares or stores food that is to be sold from the mobile or temporary food premises; or
  • If food is not usually prepared or stores beforehand by your business or organisation, the district in which your business mainly garages the mobile food premises or stores the equipment for your temporary food premises; or
  • If neither of the above applies the district in which your usual business address is located; or
  • If none of the places listed above are in Victoria the district in which the mobile or temporary food premises will first operate.

Applications for temporary and mobile food businesses can be submitted through a new website called Streatrader.

Registering your temporary and mobile food premises through Streatrader

Streatrader allows businesses and community groups that sell food from stalls and vans to make a registration application, lodge a notification or Statement of Trade, manage information and pay fees online to their principal council. This can be done anytime day or night with no need to go to the council office. Once your application has been accepted by your principal council, you can trade anywhere in Victoria.

If you have any further queries please contact our Environmental Health Unit on (03) 9599 4417.

What is a Statement of Trade (SOT)?

Once you have registered your temporary or mobile food premises on Streatrader you can operate your business anywhere in Victoria, but before you do so you must inform the councils in which you will be trading about your intentions.

At least five days before trading, you must lodge a SOT in each council district where you will be operating. This is simply done through the Streatrader website.

Community group temporary food information

To access essential information, including the classification of your food premises, your obligations under the Food Act, how to register or notify Council about your event, and where you can get more help and advice if required, please see community groups fundraising events food safety obligations.

Class 2 temporary premises

Community groups can get important information for which prepare and sell ready-to-eat foods, such as sandwiches containing cheese, smallgoods, sliced vegetables or salad, or any other potentially hazardous foods.

For more information go to the health.vic website.

Events food safety program template, class 2 temporary premises

Information for events, temporary stalls, festivals and community groups operating a Class 2 temporary premises.

For more information go to the health.vic website

Class 3 food safety guide for community groups

A comprehensive guide to food safety for class 3 food premises. Get advice on the kinds of food handling activities your class 3 food premises may run, and the records you are required by law to keep.

For more information go to the health.vic website.

Class 4 cake stalls

Useful information about keeping food safe at your cake stall

For more information go to the health.vic website.

Class 4 sausage sizzles

Useful information about keeping food safe at your sausage sizzles.

For more information go to the health.vic website.

Back to top

Food safety programs

The Food Act requires food businesses to develop and implement a Food Safety Program.

A Food Safety Program is a document that shows what steps you and your business are taking to ensure that the food you sell is safe.

The Food Safety Program also requires each business to appoint a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS).

Templates and records

To successfully implement and run your food safety program you should use the:

To learn how to use the templates, or to find them in different languages, visit www.health.vic.gov.au

For further information or clarification, contact our Environmental Health Department on (03) 9599 4417.

Food safety supervisor

The food safety supervisor must:

  • Know how to recognise, prevent and alleviate hazards associated with handling food.
  • Hold appropriate certification of completion of relevant training competencies provided by a registered training organisation.
  • Have the ability and authority to supervise and direct other staff handling food and ensure that they have appropriate skills and knowledge relevant to the industry.

If the nominated FSS has not completed the necessary training before your business opens, your business will need to provide confirmation of enrolment in an approved course with submission of your Food Safety Program.

For more information about registered food safety supervisor training visit the National Training Information Service website.

If you require further information or clarification, contact our Environmental Health Department on (03) 9599 4417.

Back to top

Food recall

In the event of a food recall, our Environmental Health Officers will receive notification from the Department of Human Services advising the nature of the recall and any action to be taken.

The Environmental Health Officers will:

  • actively contact and/or check stores where the product is likely to be stored
  • ensure stock has been removed to an area clearly designated for recalled goods, and
  • seize stock if necessary or as requested.

To find out about current food recalls, visit the Food Standards website.

Food allergens and intolerances

Food allergens and intolerances are increasing in Australia with 1 in every 5 people reporting food sensitivities. Find out more with our factsheet.

Food allergen fact sheet (PDF, 122.40KB)

Back to top