fbpx Food Safety in Bayside | Bayside City Council Go to top of page

Food Safety in Bayside

Opening a new food or drink business

If you're opening a food or drink business, or wish to serve food as part of your accommodation business in Bayside, you need to apply for a food registration.
The following is the step-by-step process for registering. 

Step 1. Submit plans for assessment

Our Environmental Health Officers can assist in the preparation of plans for your new food or drink business. For further information to assist you, please read our food premises design and construction specifications (PDF, 3.78MB). This is an optional step, but is highly recommended.

  1. To have your plans assessed, submit our online food premise assessment form along with your plans and fee before commencing any works.
  2. The plan will be reviewed and endorsed by an Environmental Health Officer with specific conditions in accordance with the Food Safety Standards of Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code.
  3. If the plans submitted require an amendment or information has been omitted the applicant will be notified in writing to provide further information and to resubmit an amended copy of the plans.
  4. Once the plans have been approved, an endorsed copy of the plans along with a letter of conditions will be forwarded to the applicant.
  5. Work should commence once the plans have been endorsed by the Environmental Health Officer.
  6. Progress inspections may be carried out throughout the project to ensure compliance with the endorsed plans.

Apply to have your premises plans assessed


Step 2. Apply for registration

All businesses, organisations, individuals and community groups selling food or drink in Victoria must be classified according to the highest level of risk their food handling activities pose. To determine what classification Class your business may be, see the Food Business Classifications Predetermined List.

It takes about 10 minutes to complete the form and you will need the following information:

  • Contact details for the business.
  • Details about the class and operations of your business.
  • Class 1 and 2: food safety program information, Food Safety Supervisor contact details, copy of menu to upload, copy of floor plan to upload, numbers of employees.
  • Class 3: copy of menu to upload, copy of floor plan to upload, numbers of employees. 

Applications are usually processed within 7 days after being received.

You should only apply for this food business registration once the fit out and internal works are completed, and the business is ready to trade.

Register to open a new food or drink business


Step 3. A final inspection before you start trading

A final inspection is required of the food premises prior to Council issuing of a Certificate of Food Act Registration. At the final inspection, your Environmental Health Officer will:

  • Confirm the details of your Application for Registration.
  • Assess whether your food premises has been constructed in compliance with the Food Standards Code and the Food Act 1984.
  • Ensure you have the necessary cleaning chemicals and food preparation equipment to operate and prepare food safely.

To book a final inspection, contact your Environmental Health Officer on 9599 4417 or via envhealth [at] bayside.vic.gov.au (subject: Request%20a%20final%20inspection, body: Premises%20address%3A%0A%0ATrading%20name%3A%0A%0AProprietor%20name%3A%0A%0AContact%20number%3A%0A%0AEmail%20address%3A%20%0A%0AProposed%20opening%20date%3A) (email).

Back to top


Notifying Council of a Class 4 food or drink business

You must notify Council if you operate a Class 4 food or drink business. 

A Class 4 food or drink business includes the following:

  • The sale of shelf-stable, pre-packaged, low-risk food such as confectionery, crisps, frozen ice cream, milk and bottled drinks (e.g. newsagents, pharmacies, video stores and some milk bars).
  • The sale of packaged alcohol, for example bottle shops.
  • The sale of uncut fruit and vegetables, for example farmers markets, green grocers and wholesalers.
  • Wine tasting (which can include serving low risk food and cheese).
  • The sale of packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes).
  • The supply of low-risk food, including cut fruit, at sessional kindergarten or child care.

For a full list of Class 4 activities, visit the Food Business Classifications Predetermined List.

Notify Council of your Class 4 food or drink business

Back to top


Buying an existing food or drink business

Request a presale business inspection

A prospective purchaser or solicitor acting on their behalf may request a report detailing any outstanding requirements and/or Orders for an existing business. You must obtain the consent from the current owner prior to the release of the information.

The standard response time is 10 working days and costs $285.00. If an urgent response is required a fee of $551.00 will be applicable, and your report will be provided within 4 working days.

On receipt of the request, consent and appropriate fee, an Environmental Health Officer will conduct an inspection of the premises.

A report will be prepared and issued to the person requesting the report. A copy of the report will also be forwarded to the registered proprietor of the premises.

Consent to release information

Request a presale business inspection


Transferring an existing business registration

Before the ownership of a food business changes, the existing proprietor must complete the consent from proprietor to transfer and the new proprietor will receive an email notification to confirm this consent has been provided.

The new proprietor must complete an Application for Transfer of Registration and attach a copy of the existing proprietor's consent to transfer as part of the transfer of registration application.

Consent from proprietor to transfer registration

Transfer an existing food or drink business registration

Back to top


Food and drink business registration fees

Category 1 (Class 1)

Nursing homes or aged care centres, child care centres, hospitals, special accommodation, meals on wheels.

The cost is $640.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 2 (Class 2)

Food manufacturers of high risk foods, supermarkets, hotels, food kitchens, caterers, restaurants, bakery, cake sales, cafes, takeaways, delicatessens, food canteens high risk, juice bars, function centres, bed and breakfast high risk, mobile food vehicles high risk, sporting clubs high risk.

The cost is $630.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 3 (Class 3)

Fruit and vegetable sales, convenience stores, ice cream sales, food canteens low risk, food manufacturers low risk, mixed businesses, cake decorators, sporting clubs low risk, kiosks, health food stores, mobile food vehicles low risk, bed and breakfast low risk.

The cost is $420.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 4 (Class 4)

Liquor shops, low risk packaged foods.

No charge, notification only

Category 5

Temporary food premises for one off promotional, festival and other events not otherwise covered, packaged food >2M2 and/or requiring food safety plans, school canteens.

The cost is $188.00.

Category 6

Temporary food premises for festivals and other community events not otherwise covered.

The cost is $105.00.

Late fees

Please note a 50% late fee applies to all the above registration fees. The list of fees and charges are also subject to change.

Back to top


Applications for temporary and mobile food premises

A state-wide registration and notification scheme for temporary and mobile food premises applies under the Food Act 1984.

Under the state-wide registration system, one council in Victoria must be primarily responsible for approving your operations. This is your "principal council".

Your "principal council" is:

  • The district in which your food business prepares or stores food that is to be sold from the mobile or temporary food premises; or
  • If food is not usually prepared or stores beforehand by your business or organisation, the district in which your business mainly garages the mobile food premises or stores the equipment for your temporary food premises; or
  • If neither of the above applies the district in which your usual business address is located; or
  • If none of the places listed above are in Victoria the district in which the mobile or temporary food premises will first operate.

Applications for temporary and mobile food businesses can be submitted through Streatrader.

Registering your temporary and mobile food premises through Streatrader

Streatrader allows businesses and community groups that sell food from stalls and vans to make a registration application, lodge a notification or Statement of Trade, manage information and pay fees online to their principal council. This can be done anytime day or night with no need to go to the council office. Once your application has been accepted by your principal council, you can trade anywhere in Victoria.

If you have any further queries please contact us on 9599 4417.

What is a Statement of Trade (SOT)?

Once you have registered your temporary or mobile food premises on Streatrader you can operate your business anywhere in Victoria, but before you do so you must inform the councils in which you will be trading about your intentions.

At least 24 hours before trading, you must lodge a SOT in each council district where you will be operating. This is simply done through the Streatrader website.

Community group temporary food information

To access essential information, including the classification of your food premises, your obligations under the Food Act, how to register or notify Council about your event, and where you can get more help and advice if required, please see community groups fundraising events food safety obligations.

Class 2 temporary premises

Community groups can get important information for which prepare and sell ready-to-eat foods, such as sandwiches containing cheese, smallgoods, sliced vegetables or salad, or any other potentially hazardous foods.

For more information go to the health.vic website.

Events food safety program template, class 2 temporary premises

Information for events, temporary stalls, festivals and community groups operating a Class 2 temporary premises.

For more information go to the health.vic website

Class 3 food safety guide for community groups

A comprehensive guide to food safety for class 3 food premises. Get advice on the kinds of food handling activities your class 3 food premises may run, and the records you are required by law to keep.

Class 4 cake stalls and sausage sizzles

Useful information about keeping food safe at your cake stall

For more information go to the health.vic website.

Back to top


Food safety program and record sheets

The Food Act requires food businesses to develop and implement a food safety program, this document mst remain at your premises.

A food safety program is a document that shows what steps you and your business are taking to ensure that the food you sell is safe.

The food safety program also requires each business to appoint a food safety supervisor.

Templates and record sheets

To successfully implement and run your food safety program, you may use:

To learn how to use the templates, or to find them in different languages, visit www.health.vic.gov.au

For further information or clarification, contact us on 9599 4417.

Food safety supervisors

The food safety supervisor must:

  • Know how to recognise, prevent and alleviate hazards associated with handling food.
  • Hold appropriate certification of completion of relevant training competencies provided by a registered training organisation.
  • Have the ability and authority to supervise and direct other staff handling food and ensure that they have appropriate skills and knowledge relevant to the industry.

If the nominated food safety supervisor has not completed the necessary training before your business opens, your business will need to provide confirmation of enrolment in an approved course with your registration application.

For more information about food safety supervisor training visit the Food Safety Victoria website.

If you require further information or clarification, contact us on 9599 4417.

Back to top

Food safety in the community

Food recalls

In the event of a food recall, our Environmental Health Officers will receive notification from the Department of Health and Human Services advising the nature of the recall and any action to be taken.

The Environmental Health Officers will:

  • actively contact and/or check stores where the product is likely to be stored
  • ensure stock has been removed to an area clearly designated for recalled goods, and
  • seize stock if necessary or as requested.

To find out about current food recalls, visit the Food Standards website.


Food allergens and intolerances

Food allergens and intolerances are increasing in Australia with 1 in every 5 people reporting food sensitivities. Find out more with our fact sheet.

Food allergen fact sheet (PDF, 122.40KB)


Free online food handler program

A free online learning program for food handlers is available on the Department of Health website.

Back to top