Go to top of page


What is a hoarding?

Precautions must be taken before and during building work to protect the safety of the public, if required by the relevant building surveyor. A hoarding is a temporary protective barrier designed to protect the public or persons within the vicinity of a building or building site during construction. Hoardings are generally made out of either solid timber or cyclone temporary fencing with shade cloth.

All excavations must be fenced or guarded to minimise the potential for danger to life and property.

Who is responsible for hoardings?

A builder is generally responsible for the installation and continued upkeep of hoardings throughout the duration of building work, ensuring that public safety is maintained at all times. If hoardings are to be erected outside the property boundaries, a hoarding/street occupation permit, and a 'report and consent' approval must be obtained from Council.

It is the relevant building surveyor who is responsible for:

  • Deciding when precautions are required throughout the project.
  • Seeking details of precautions from the designer/builder.
  • The approval of the precautions.
  • The submission of a copy of any building permit application with details of precautions protecting the street alignment to Council.
  • Obtaining 'report and consent' under Building Regulation 604 to that application before issuing any building permits where precautions are required.

What is a hoarding/street occupation permit?

A hoarding/street occupation permit is an approval, usually obtained by the builder, from Council's Asset Protection department permitting the occupation or part occupation of public land for the installation and location of such hoardings.

A hoarding/street occupation permit is generally not required if the hoarding is located within the building site. It may go up to the property boundary but not over without the appropriate approvals.

The 'report and consent' process

If the hoarding is to be erected beyond the title boundaries of an allotment and onto the street alignment, a 'report & consent' from the Council's Building Surveying department must be obtained pursuant to Building Regulation 604(4) – Protection of the Public.

It should be noted that the definition of 'public' is not limited to users of the street and may include users of an adjoining property.

Application forms need to be submitted along with a copy of title, architectural plans and the approved precautions by the relevant building surveyor and the prescribed fee.