When compared with its neighbours Bayside has:
- the highest proportion of separate houses
- a low proportion of people per hectare
- a high proportion of open space
- the smallest population
- the fewest rateable properties
- a high percentage of residential properties
- the highest proportion of revenue derived from rates.
Research for the Bayside Community Plan 2025 has affirmed that people love living in Bayside for the beaches, big blocks, leafy streets, parks and gardens, local shopping villages, good schools and family living in close proximity to the city.
Residents nominated their biggest concern as housing density.
We have achieved the strictest planning controls available in Victoria for 83% of residential land in Bayside. This restricts development in these parts to two storeys and to no more than two dwellings per block.