fbpx Injury or property damage reporting process | Bayside City Council Go to top of page

Injury or property damage reporting process

If you would like to report:

  • an injury sustained on Council property
  • damage to your property

please follow the process below. For all other enquiries, please use our website search for the applicable form. Alternatively you can contact us to make a generic request.

What is the claim reporting process?

If you have sustained an injury on Council property or experienced damage to your property, you can follow this process to make a report.

  1. Complete and submit the report an injury or property damage form.
  2. We will then investigate and incident site. If you supply contact details, we may get in touch for more information.
  3. If you have let us know you will be making a claim, you will be sent a ‘request for consideration of compensation’ form via your email.
  4. Complete the form in full, provide photographs and documentation as required and sign and date the form.
  5. Return the form by mail to: 
    • The Claims Team, Bayside City Council, 76 Royal Avenue, Sandringham VIC 3191.
    • Alternatively you can email the form to our riskclaimsteam [at] bayside.vic.gov.au (claims team).
  6. Echelon Claims Services, on behalf of Council, will investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident to establish whether or not the Council has any legal liability.
  7. The process takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks; however, this time frame can be longer due to delays in obtaining information and other factors beyond the our control. Echelon Claims Services will endeavour to respond to claims as quickly as possible.

Please note

Completion and acceptance of the request form does not represent an admission of liability on the part of the Council and or their insurers. Your claim will be subject to investigation and the findings assessed on their own merits.

Important information regarding damage arising from the condition of a roadway or footpath

Provisions of the Road Management Act 2004 require an individual or company seeking compensation for property damage arising from the condition of the roadway/footpath, to pay the first $1460.00 of any claim (the “threshold amount”) regardless of liability (includes motor vehicles, clothing, glasses etc.).

Please note that the threshold amount is varied by the Victorian Government every financial year. The threshold amount stated above is valid for property damage occurring in the 2019/20 financial year.

See the Road Management Act 2004 for further information.

Submit a report