Mabu Mabu Damper Recipe
3 cups self raising flour*
4 x 30cm Sheets of Banana Leaves (can substitute for baking paper)
2 tbs room temperature butter (or vegan butter/nuttlex)
1&1/2 cups water
500g Japanese Pumpkin
1 tbs Wattleseed (can substitute for other nutty spice)
1 & 1/2 tbs Saltbush (can substitute for oregano or other savoury herbs)
4 tbs room temperature butter (or vegan butter/nuttlex)
1 & 1/2 tbs golden syrup
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Start by roasting the pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin into cubes and roast in the oven until soft - almost mushy.
3. In a bowl, add the flour and butter. Mix together using your hands by pressing together. Mix until fully combined.
4. Add the cooked pumpkin or wattleseed or saltbush.
5. Add water to the flour and butter and mix a little at a time and mix with fingers until you have a nice sticky dough. Use less water when making pumpkin damper
6. Place some four on your surface then kneed until you have a bread-dough consistency.
7. Divide dough in two. Place half dough on centre of banana leaf (or baking paper). Wrap in banana leaf then wrap in tin foil.
8. Place on oven shelf for 35 - 40 minutes.
9. Form the other half of dough into a large loaf or small rolls and place on floured oven tray in the oven for 25 - 35 minutes.
10. To accompany pumpkin damper, whip room temperature butter with golden syrup.
* Damper can be made using gluten free self-raising flour. If your gluten-free flour is not self-raising, please add rising agent like baking powder.
For those who want to cook alongside Nornie’s live damper demonstration you can use the below recipe provided by Mabu Mabu.
** To make along with Nornie in the online session, please pre-cook the pumpkin and pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.