Bayside has welcomed the State Government’s Better Apartments Draft Design Standards which will bring better quality apartment buildings to our community.
Bayside City Council Mayor, Cr Alex del Porto said that the standards will help to ensure that new apartments are more liveable and better integrated into their surrounds.
“The increasing trend toward apartment living means that good apartment building design is critical in providing Bayside’s apartment dwellers with a high quality of life,” Cr del Porto said
.“Council supports the standards outlined in the Better Apartments Draft Design Standards and strongly endorses the development and implementation for a set of unambiguous planning controls for higher density development.”
The draft design standards reflect a range of recommendations presented by Bayside City Council in July 2015 in response to an initial discussion paper on the matter.
“Bayside is known across Melbourne for the high quality of its urban environment and is recognised for retaining and enhancing its high quality residential amenity,” Cr del Porto said.
“The Bayside Housing Strategy identifies that higher density developments required to meet Melbourne’s projected population growth is focused in areas with strong public transport links and appropriate infrastructure.
“The changes proposed via the Better Apartments Draft Design Standards will help to ensure that any future apartment developments are not only appropriately located but help to diversify Bayside’s housing options while meeting the needs and expectations of our community.”
The Better Apartments Draft Design Standards proposes a range of changes that will help to ensure that future apartment developments;
- Optimise daylight and privacy to dwellings, and communal and public spaces;
- Provide adequate and usable storage outside of that usually provided in kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms;
- Ensure proper acoustic treatments to avoid noise spill;
- Provide functional and usable private open space for all dwellings;
- Ensure natural ventilation is optimised;
- Follow standards for the retention and provision of mature trees and vegetation;
- Meet accessibility stages for people of all ages and abilities and
- Are more energy efficient and have more effective rainwater capture and water management.