Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Brighton East locals will soon be able to enjoy a more vibrant shopping village.
Council has developed a draft streetscape plan to ensure that Brighton East shopping village is a vibrant and attractive hub for the community now and into the future.
The aim of the upgraded streetscape is to enhance the village to ensure it can continue to service the community and its role as a local retail and meeting place.
Along with the streetscape renewal works, Council will also be undertaking drainage works to reduce the impact of flooding at the intersection of Clive Street and Hawthorn Road. These works will be undertaken in a way to retain through traffic and minimise disruption to existing businesses.
Construction of the revitalised streetscape is expected to commence in April 2019.
Key improvements proposed in the draft plan include:
▪ New concrete footpaths with feature pavement throughout to improve accessibility and amenity
▪ Planting additional native Frangipani street trees
▪ New planted garden beds with native and indigenous species
▪ New furniture including seats, bicycle stands and bins
▪ Construction of underground storm water storage system, drainage pits and pipes to reduce localised flooding
▪ Adding an accessible parking space
To have your say on the plans for Brighton East streetscape visit: www.bayside.vic.gov.au/HaveYourSay
Consultation closes on Sunday 17 February 5pm.