Friday, August 16, 2019
Managing, preserving and harvesting water is an important challenge for Bayside and we need your feedback on our plan to avoid the big dry.
Council is committed to improving the health of our waterways and safeguarding our environment for current and future generations.
We are seeking feedback on a new draft plan to protect this precious natural resource - the draft Integrated Water Management Plan 2019-2039 - ‘Water for Bayside’.
‘Water for Bayside’ is a 20 year action plan covering flood storage, stormwater harvesting and stormwater treatment projects. It has four key goals:
- Goal 1: Investigate and identify how water can best be managed and used to enhance Bayside’s liveability.
- Goal 2: Improve the health of Port Phillip Bay and waterways through a reduction in stormwater volumes and pollutant loads.
- Goal 3: Preserve potable water supplies.
- Goal 4: Increase the use of stormwater in Council’s reserves.
Proposed projects in the action plan include:
- stormwater harvesting and reuse projects in Bayside parks and reserves such as Landcox Park and Peterson Reserve
- streetscape water capture and filtering projects for improved street tree health such as along North Road, in Gipsy Village and Dalgetty Road
- installation of new gross pollutant traps at key drains on the foreshore such as at Abbott Street Sandringham and Bay Street Brighton
- flood management and mapping.
Feedback closes 4 September 2019.