Powering Up Local Sporting Clubs – Grant Success
Congratulations to six Bayside community projects that were successful as part of the Victorian Government’s Community Climate Change and Energy Action program made available through Sustainability Victoria.
Monday 14 November 2022
Funded projects will support Victorian community groups to reduce carbon emissions and save resources. Bayside City Council worked closely with three Bayside clubs to develop their successful grant applications.
- Hurlingham Park Tennis Club has been awarded $50,000 to upgrade court lights with energy efficient LED lights. Each light is 60% more efficient than the light they are replacing, with an estimated annual savings of $2,800 per year along with the associated greenhouse gas emission reduction of approximately 3.6 tonnes per year.
- Black Rock Yacht Club has been awarded $19,683 for installation of a 40kW Solar PV system. This will support the reduction of energy bills and will allow the system to pay for itself in five years and offset approximately 42 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions per year.
- Sandringham Bowls Club has been awarded $6,056 to upgrade an appliance and install a Heat Pump hot water system. This supports Bayside’s move away from gas appliances in Council buildings and will improve the efficiency of one of the largest power users on site.
Three clubs in Bayside were successful in their own grant applications under the Community Climate Change and Energy Action program:
- Beaumaris Lawn Tennis Club has been awarded $37,490 to upgrade old court lights with energy efficient LED lights.
- Black Rock Sport Club has been awarded $19,485 for installation of a 27.5 kW solar system with 28.4 kWh battery storage.
- Sandybeach Community Cooperative Society has been awarded $25,421 for installation of a 27.5 kW solar system with 28.4 kWh battery storage.
Congratulations to all the successful clubs. These projects will all contribute to achieving Bayside’s community emissions reduction target of net zero by 2035 (or earlier).
If you are interested in reducing bills and emissions for your club there are some great opportunities to work with Council, State and Federal Government on energy efficiency projects.
Please contact the Climate and Environmental Sustainability team via email at email@example.com to discuss opportunities for your club.