Monday, July 1, 2019
From 1 July, any item with a battery, cord or plug that is no longer working must be recycled and cannot be placed in any household bin.
This is a new Victorian Government initiative to eliminate e-waste from landfill and recover and-re-use valuable resources.
Bayside residents can dispose of unwanted e-waste items via Council’s regular hard waste collection, or take e-waste to the Bayside Waste and Recycling Centre located at 144 Talinga Rd, Cheltenham.
E-waste collected in Bayside’s hard waste collections is already sorted and recycled. This will continue under the new arrangement for recycling e-waste.
Before you recycle any devices as e-waste:
1. Backup your data
2. Log out of online accounts and social media
3. Reset to erase all the data from your device’s internal storage
4. Remove your SIM and memory card
Facts about e-waste
- 90 percent of your phone, TV and computer can be recycled
- Over 16 million TVs are discarded in Australia every year
- Raw materials from global e-waste were valued at A$80B in 2016
For further information about e-waste visit the Sustainability Victoria website.