Tuesday 23 November 2021
We have celebrated and wrapped up National Recycling Week and Garage Sale Trail.
For the past few weeks we’ve been focusing on repairing and reusing, with a suite of events, competitions and resources dedicated to empowering the community to consume less and reuse more.
With our hard waste collection closing for the holiday period, it’s another good time to re-think what’s waste and what’s not.
While e-waste, metals, tied green waste, and mattresses are recovered and recycled, all other items will go to landfill.
Consider some sustainable alternatives for the good quality items. Give them a second life by:
- using Sacred Heart Mission's Free Collections Service
- donating them to a local op shop
- checking if family, friends or neighbours want any of your items
- selling or giving them away on Facebook Marketplace, local buy/sell/swap Facebook groups, Ziilch, Streetbank or Gumtree
- taking items to the Bayside Waste and Recycling Centre. Keep in mind the centre will be closed 25, 26 and 27 December
- taking part in our Re-love your pre-loved competition.
Upcycle, style, or curate your stuff and show us how your pre-loved items have improved the aesthetic and/or function of a space.
You have the chance of winning one of two $200 EFTPOS vouchers.
Entries (closing on 5 December) will be judged for their creativity, style, and of course using only second-hand goods.
Hard waste break
If you need a hard-waste collection before the end of the year, you can book up until 5pm on Wednesday, 15 December when the service takes a break.
Online bookings will re-open 5pm on Friday, 31 December 2021 with phone bookings re-opening on Tuesday 4 January 2021.