Saturday, May 15, 2021
It’s National Families Week this week 15-21 May and we are celebrating all things families.
In Bayside, households with children make up 36.9 per cent of our residents. During Families Week, we are promoting the range of services we provide for our local families, including maternal and child health, Immunisations, library services, gallery and much more. We also provide information and support to families to connect with occasional care, access to kindergartens, playgroups, playhouses and day care.
Council offers a range of open spaces for families to enjoy, including playgrounds, parks and sportsgrounds.
This year’s theme for Families Week is Stronger Families, Stronger Communities, highlighting the importance of connectedness and social opportunities to a sense of wellbeing and fulfilment. We want families and communities to be stronger, happier and safer to enable every person to be the best version of themselves.
You can contact Council's friendly Family Services team on familyservices [at] bayside.vic.gov.au or phone 9599 4444.
Get involved at your local library
Bayside libraries have hand-picked a wonderful book list in celebration of Families Week and Beaumaris, Brighton and Sandringham libraries will each have family-themed storytime sessions throughout the week, bookings essential.
10 top tips for Stronger Families, Stronger Communities
- Take the time to play and have fun with your family.
- Build connections with older relatives and community elders.
- Appreciate your family and community – everyone matters.
- Encourage each other and offer support.
- Participate in local events and get to know your community.
- Celebrate achievements, large and small.
- Be generous with your time in your family and in your community.
- Reduce your stress – remember you need time out too.
- Do something with your family that helps others.
- Take time out from technology and enjoy family time together.