The Minister for Agriculture has approved the following obedience training organisations:
- Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers
- The Gentle Dog Trainers Association
- Dogs Victoria
- Four Paws K9 Training
As an approved obedience training organisation, they have a program that assesses a dog on the following skills:
- heeling or walking with handler
- sociability with other dogs
- staying on command (known as the stay test)
- coming to handler on command (known as a recall test)
- absence of aggression.
These organisations have qualified obedience trainers who run approved assessment programs and can provide an obedience assessment certificate.