fbpx Pool or spa safety barrier registration | Bayside City Council Go to top of page

Pool or spa safety barrier registration

Registration deadline extension

On the 26th May 2020 the Victorian Government extended the deadline for the mandatory registration of private pools and spas due to the impacts of coronavirus.

Private pool and spa owners now have until 1 November 2020 to register their pools with Council – an extension of five months from the original 1 June deadline. This therefore also pushed out the deadline for owners to lodge their first Certificate of Pool & Spa Barrier Compliance.

As of 1 December 2019, new safety standards were introduced by the state government via requirements to the Building Regulations 2018 to improve pool and spa safety and to ensure that all swimming pools and spas have a compliant barrier/fence to restrict access to the pool area by children under the age of 5.

Registration makes sure safety barriers are maintained and compliant. It is important to make sure you supervise young children in and around pools and spas at all times. Make sure gates and doors remain closed, except when entering the pool or spa.

Which pools and spas must be registered?

You must register a swimming pool or spa capable of holding a water depth greater than 30cm. This includes:

  • in-ground and above ground pools and spas
  • inflatable pools
  • relocatable pools that have been erected for 3 or more days
  • indoor pools and spa pools
  • children’s paddling and wading pools
  • spas, jacuzzis, hot tubs and swim spas (including portable spas).

This does not include:

  • small toddler or wading pools that cannot hold more than 30cm depth of water
  • structures such as bird baths, fish ponds, fountains
  • spa-baths inside bathrooms that are used for personal hygiene
  • water supply/storage tanks
  • dams, rivers, creeks and lakes.

Relocatable pool/spa definition

Small inflatable pools that do not contain multiple components and do not require any assembly are not subject to the barrier requirements.

An example of such a product is a small inflatable pool that requires no assembly other than inflation and cannot hold more than 30cm depth of water.

However, relocatable (moveable or portable) pools and spas on land that you own must be registered if they are erected for 3 or more consecutive days.

  • If it was erected before 1 June 2020 and remains erected for at least 3 consecutive days immediately before 1 June 2020, you must register by 4 June 2020.
  • If it was erected on or after 1 June 2020 and remains erected for 3 consecutive days, you must register the pool and spa on the 4th day after it was erected.

If your relocatable pool or spa is only in place for a period of less than 3 consecutive days, there is no need to apply for registration.

What if I have a pool and spa?

If the pool and spa are within the same enclosure you only have to register once.

If you have separate pool or spa enclosures you will need to register them individually.

What is the process?

When you register your swimming pool or spa, we will advise you on:

  • the date or period of construction of the swimming pool/spa
  • the relevant standard the safety barrier must comply with
  • the date the safety barriers must be certified as compliant by.

We will endeavour to provide this information as soon as possible.

Once the swimming pool or spa has been registered with us, it will remain registered until the swimming pool or spa is removed and the owner applies to take it off the register.

Registrations, once submitted, do not need to be renewed for the life of the pool or spa.

Inspections and the submission of certificates of compliance must be completed every 4 years.

How much does it cost?

The one-off registration costs $79 plus a credit card surcharge. These fees are set by the Victorian Government.

When registering you will be required to pay this fee. Should you be experiencing hardship at this time Council may consider individual situations in terms of payment at a later date. If you wish to request hardship please do not register now, but instead send an e-mail to building [at] bayside.vic.gov.au quoting your reference PS number to arrange for registration and request delayed payment consideration.

I don't have a pool or spa

If there is no longer a pool or spa on your property, you can apply to take it off the register.

Apply to take a pool or spa off the register

Register online

Register your pool or spa

Download the form:

Fill in and bring it into:

Bayside City Council
76 Royal Avenue
Sandringham VIC 3191

Open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–5pm

When do I need to register by?

All property owners (including landlords) will need to register existing pools and spas by 1 June 2020.

If you are part of a unit development with common use/shared pool/spa, which is managed by an Owners Corporation, owners should not individually complete the application form but instead have the Owners Corporation representative submit the application. This will ensure it is only done and paid for once as required.

Pools or spas built after 1 June 2020 must be registered within 30 days of receiving an occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection.

How do I get a safety barrier compliance certificate?

The property owner must engage a private registered Building Surveyor or Building Inspector to undertake the inspection and provide a Certificate of Pool and Spa Barrier Compliance.

Council does not provide this service.

The certificate will say if the safety barriers are compliant to the right standards.

You will need to provide the certificate to us and supply a new one every 4 years.

Find out more information

Go to the VBA website for more information about pool and spa safety.