Reducing waste to landfill
Generate less rubbish and reduce waste to landfill by being a smart shopper and recycling and composting. Save $55.74 a year off the Council waste charge by reducing waste and downsizing from a 140-litre bin to an 80-litre bin. Fill out our contact us form, and we can call you to discuss the right size bin for your property.
Tips for being a smarter shopper
- Buy goods that have minimal packaging.
- Invest in a quality reusable coffee cup or drink bottle.
- Buy whole foods.
- Grow your own vegetables and herbs.
- Invest in reusable shopping bags.
- Buy quality goods that are going to last.
Getting it right on bin night. Getting the right items in the right bin
- Check for recycling in every room. Find recyclable rubbish in your kitchen, bathroom, laundry, lounge and study.
- Make sure recycling items are empty. They don’t need to be sparkling clean, just empty. Remove solid food scraps like pizza and leftovers.
- Keep recycling out of plastic bags. Recycling in plastics bags will end up in a landfill instead because it can’t be sorted and recycled.
- Make recycling easy. Place separate rubbish and recycling bins in each room. If you don’t have enough room for two bins, try a small box or container under the bench or in a cupboard to collect recycling.
- Keep certain items out of your recycling. Putting these items in your recycling bin can affect the recycling process making it harder to sort:
- garden waste
- food waste
- household chemicals
- electronics (such as computers, TVs, mobile phones)
- household goods and furniture.