Skip to main content

Food safety in Bayside

Get all the information you need to opening and running a food business in Bayside, plus some important food safety tips for your home.

​​​​​​Find out about

Opening a new food or drink business

If you're opening a food or drink business, or wish to serve food as part of your accommodation business in Bayside, you need to apply for a food registration.

The following is the step-by-step process for registering. 

Step 1. Submit plans for assessment

Our Environmental Health Officers can assist in the preparation of plans for your new food or drink business. For further information to assist you, please read our food premises design and construction specifications. This is an optional step, but is highly recommended.

  1. To have your plans assessed, submit our online food premise assessment form along with your plans and fee before commencing any works.
  2. Your plan will be reviewed and endorsed by an Environmental Health Officer with specific conditions in accordance with the Food Safety Standards of Australia and New Zealand Food Standards Code.
  3. If the plans submitted require an amendment or information has been omitted the applicant will be notified in writing to provide further information and to resubmit an amended copy of the plans.
  4. Once the plans have been approved, an endorsed copy of the plans along with a letter of conditions will be forwarded to the applicant.
  5. Work should commence once the plans have been endorsed by the Environmental Health Officer.
  6. Progress inspections may be carried out throughout the project to ensure compliance with the endorsed plans.

Apply to have your premises plans assessed


Step 2. Apply for registration

All businesses, organisations, individuals and community groups selling food or drink in Victoria must be classified according to the highest level of risk their food handling activities pose. To determine what classification Class your business may be, see the Food Business Classifications Predetermined List.

It takes about 10 minutes to complete the form and you will need the following information:

  • Contact details for the business.
  • Details about the class and operations of your business.
  • Class 1 and 2: food safety program information, food safety supervisor contact details, copy of menu to upload, copy of floor plans to upload, numbers of employees.
  • Class 3: copy of menu to upload, copy of floor plans to upload, numbers of employees. 

Applications are usually processed within 7 days after being received.

You should only apply for this food business registration once the fit out and internal works are completed, and the business is ready to trade.

Register to open a new food or drink business


Step 3. A final inspection before you start trading

A final inspection is required of the food premises prior to Council issuing of a Certificate of Food Act Registration. At the final inspection, your Environmental Health Officer will:

  • Confirm the details of your Application for Registration.
  • Assess whether your food premises has been constructed in compliance with the Food Standards Code and the Food Act 1984.
  • Ensure you have the necessary cleaning chemicals and food preparation equipment to operate and prepare food safely.
  • Find important food safety tips for businesses.

To book a final inspection, contact your Environmental Health Officer on 9599 4417 or via email.

Back to top


Notifying Council of a Class 4 food or drink business

You must notify Council if you operate a Class 4 food or drink business. 

A Class 4 food or drink business includes the following:

  • The sale of shelf-stable, pre-packaged, low-risk food such as confectionery, crisps, frozen ice cream, milk and bottled drinks (e.g. newsagents, pharmacies, video stores and some milk bars).
  • The sale of packaged alcohol, for example bottle shops.
  • The sale of uncut fruit and vegetables, for example farmers markets, green grocers and wholesalers.
  • Wine tasting (which can include serving low risk food and cheese).
  • The sale of packaged cakes (excluding cream cakes).
  • The supply of low-risk food, including cut fruit, at sessional kindergarten or child care.

For a full list of Class 4 activities, visit the Food Business Classifications Predetermined List.

Notify Council of your Class 4 food or drink business

Back to top


Buying an existing food or drink business

Request a presale business inspection

A prospective purchaser or solicitor acting on their behalf may request a report detailing any outstanding requirements and/or Orders for an existing business. You must obtain the consent from the current owner prior to the release of the information.

The standard response time is 10 working days and costs $290.00. If an urgent response is required a fee of $560.00 will be applicable, and your report will be provided within 4 working days.

On receipt of the request, consent and appropriate fee, an Environmental Health Officer will conduct an inspection of the premises.

A report will be prepared and issued to the person requesting the report. A copy of the report will also be forwarded to the registered proprietor of the premises.

Consent to release information

Request a presale business inspection


Change of ownership for an existing food or drink business

When a change of ownership occurs for an existing food or drink business, the new proprietor must complete an Application for Registration.

Apply for a food or drink business registration

Back to top


Food and drink business registration fees

Category 1 (Class 1)

Nursing homes or aged care centres, child care centres, hospitals, special accommodation, meals on wheels.

The cost is $640.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 2 (Class 2)

Food manufacturers of high risk foods, supermarkets, hotels, food kitchens, caterers, restaurants, bakery, cake sales, cafes, takeaways, delicatessens, food canteens high risk, juice bars, function centres, bed and breakfast high risk, mobile food vehicles high risk, sporting clubs high risk.

The cost is $630.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 3 (Class 3)

Fruit and vegetable sales, convenience stores, ice cream sales, food canteens low risk, food manufacturers low risk, mixed businesses, cake decorators, sporting clubs low risk, kiosks, health food stores, mobile food vehicles low risk, bed and breakfast low risk.

The cost is $420.00 plus $20.00 for each staff member (in excess of 5 staff).

Category 4 (Class 4)

Liquor shops, low risk packaged foods.

No charge, Apply here for notification

Category 5

Temporary food premises for one off promotional, festival and other events not otherwise covered, packaged food >2M2 and/or requiring food safety plans, school canteens.

The cost is $188.00.

Category 6

Temporary food premises for festivals and other community events not otherwise covered.

The cost is $105.00.

Late fees

Please note a 50% late fee applies to all the above registration fees. The list of fees and charges are also subject to change.

Back to top


Applications for temporary and mobile food premises

A state-wide registration and notification scheme for temporary and mobile food premises applies under the Food Act 1984.

These applications are submitted through Streatrader.

Back to top


Food safety program and record sheets

The Food Act requires food businesses to implement a food safety program, this document must remain at your premises.

A food safety program is a document that shows what steps you and your business are taking to ensure that the food you sell is safe.

Everyone who works in a food business – including the proprietor – is responsible for the delivery of safe food to the customer.

Class 3 food premises should use a food safety guide and are required to maintain Class 3 minimum records.

Templates and record sheets

To successfully implement and run your food safety program, you may use:

To learn how to use the templates, or to find them in different languages, visit

For further information or clarification, contact us on 9599 4417.

Back to top


Food safety in the community

Urgent food recalls

In the event of a urgent food recall, our Environmental Health Officers will receive notification from the Department of Health advising the nature of the urgent recall and any action to be taken.

Our Environmental Health Officers will:

  • actively contact and/or check stores where the product is likely to be stored
  • ensure stock has been removed to an area clearly designated for recalled goods, and
  • seize stock if necessary or as requested.

To find out about current food recalls, visit the Food Standards website.


Food allergens and intolerances

Food allergens and intolerances are increasing in Australia, affecting 1 in every 5 people. Find out more with our fact sheet.

Food allergen fact sheet


Community group food fundraising information

For information to plan your temporary food event or community group fundraiser please see the community group fundraisers website.


Planning a cake stalls or sausage sizzles?

For information about keeping food safe at your cake stall or sausage sizzle, please go to the health.vic website.


Free online food handler program - DoFoodSafely

A free online learning program to support the safe food handling in commercial food settings is available on the Department of Health website.

Back to top