Skip to main content

Event guidelines

Holding an event in Bayside

Please review the following information and complete the relevant steps:

If you will be serving and/or promoting alcohol during the event, refer to our Alcohol Harm Minimisation Policy (PDF, 87.19KB).

If you will be supplying food during the event, you will be required to obtain a temporary food vending permit. Please refer to the Streatrader website for more information.

Holding a public event

If you want to hold an event in Bayside that is open to the general public, you will need to complete an event registration form.

Risk management

Each event organiser is required to fully assess risks associated with staging an event. Ideally, the risk assessment document should be accompanied by an event plan, which should provide detail on event activities.

The risk assessment provides a checklist of activities that could be relevant to your event; however, you may also identify additional risks. If you have identified relevant risks, they must then be detailed in the template on the final page of the document.


Option 1: billboards

To promote a community event within Bayside, community groups can take advantage of one of our 5 billboard locations (only one board at one location per event). We will not charge for the use of the billboard locations; however, it is the responsibility of the community group to engage a suitable supplier to install and remove the approved artwork and board (this may be negotiated with a relevant real estate company).

We will issue a permit for the agreed times, subject to the receipt of a certificate of currency for public liability insurance. Billboards are subject to location availability and our discretion and are not available for commercial events. (This application is also incorporated into the event registration form as a complete package of information).

Apply to advertise with display boards

Option 2: our website

You can apply to have your event promoted in our events section on our website.

Other events and permits

Road race events

If your event requires road closures, the event organiser must submit to Council a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) as part of the event registration for consideration and approval.

If the road is owned and managed by VicRoads, approval is required from VicRoads and Council, together with approval from Victoria Police.

The number of road races permitted as well as the times and dates allowed is outlined in our events in public places policy. Please refer to this document before applying.

Road race event community communications

The event organiser is required to:

  1. Advise by letter all residents, businesses and community groups impacted by the road closure 10 days prior to the event. This letter must provide the access solution together with two mobile phone contact numbers that will be dedicated to event day access concerns (this access provision and letter text must be approved by one of our officers).
  2. Place a community notification in the local newspaper 10 days prior to the event, depicting the location of the road closure, the date and time of road closure and the road opening time (this text is to be approved by one of our officers).
  3. Place community notification signage 10 days prior to the event, depicting location, the date and time of the road closure and the road opening time (this signage placement location, signage look, signage text, and signage size is to be approved by one of our officers).
  4. All hydration stations along Beach Road need to use biodegradable cups.

Temporary structure siting approval

If your event requires the erection of a temporary structure, e.g. marquee or stage, you need to be aware of the Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2006. You may need to apply to the Building Surveyor for a siting approval. Structures requiring siting approval include but are not limited to:

  • stage or platform exceeding 150m2
  • tent, marquee or booth with a floor area greater than 100m2
  • seating stand that accommodates more than 20 persons
  • prefabricated building exceeding 100m2.

These forms need to lodged no less than 15 working days prior to the event. This application is made directly to our buildings department as indicated on the form below. Download our apply for siting approval of temporary structures form. (PDF, 618.17KB) 

Place of public entertainment (POPE)

If you are planning an event or function within Bayside that is considered a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE), the Building Act 1993 requires that an occupancy permit for a Place of Public Entertainment. A Place of Public Entertainment could be one:

  1. which is enclosed or substantially enclosed
  2. to which admission can be gained by payment of money or the giving of other consideration and which is intended or is to be used for the place of public entertainment.

The form needs to be lodged no less than 15 working days prior to the event. This application is made directly to our buildings department as indicated on the apply for a place of public entertainment occupancy permit form (PDF, 618.17KB).

Public transport (events affecting public transport)

Public Transport Victoria seeks to balance the needs of event organisers and participants with those of regular public transport users, pedestrians and motorists who may be affected by an event's transport arrangements.

Under Victoria's events legislation, event organisers need to notify Public Transport Victoria if their event is likely to have an impact on regular public transport services. They may also be required to prepare and get approval for a public transport plan as part of their event management plan.

For more information go to the PTV website.

People gathering at Bright n Sandy food festival overlooking the bay