Starting your business
If you want to start a business, Bayside has a number of strengths, including:
- Central location in the surrounding region.
- Proximity to Nepean Highway and arterial road network.
- Good public transport and rail access.
- Proximity to a broad range of recreational, leisure, sporting and entertainment opportunities.
- Access to a highly skilled and educated workforce.
- Clean and safe local living and working environments.
Small Business Mentoring Service
We are offering experienced mentors from the Small Business Mentoring Service to assist local business owners. Mentors will be available monthly at one of Bayside's libraries or community centres for 4 hours during the day.
Run and grow a business in Bayside
To help you get the foundational components of your business together, browse the Business Victoria website for helpful tips and to get a clear understanding of the legal and regulatory frameworks that your business will need to comply with. There are no charges for using this service.
The Business Victoria website
Some of the information available through Business Victoria includes:
- Access to Department of State Development, Business and Innovation publications.
- Shop trading laws.
- Victorian, local and commonwealth government licences, permits, registrations.
- Victorian legislated references to codes of practice that are relevant to the starting and running of your business.
- How to do business online.
- Business name registration and licensing.
- Intellectual property issues.
- Business mentoring and counselling services.
- Export and import details.
- Innovation initiatives.
- Business development.
- Business support.
Applications and licences
Apply for a business tax file number, an ABN, GST or other types of licenses and registration for business through the Australian Tax Office.
You can register a business name through the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
Bayside Business Network
Starting a new business can be very daunting and it can be difficult to know where to look for local help and ideas. The Bayside Business Network can help with over 30 events a year, including: