We're planning to construct a new stormwater drainage system in Third Street, Black Rock to help prevent local flooding during heavy rainfall.
Third Street has a history of drainage and flooding issues which can be alleviated through drainage improvement works.
We have reviewed drainage design options in response to resident feedback and secured additional budget funding to implement a more comprehensive upgrade which will help protect private property during severe weather events.
Scope of works
- Underground rainwater storage on Third Street (eastern and western)
- New drainage pipe from the middle of Third Street, east to Central Avenue, then down to Fourth Street
- Raising 36 metres of footpath on Third Street, in front of numbers 22, 24, and 26 (including crossover and driveway adjustments for 22 and 24)
- Replacing up to six existing drainage pits, including increasing the size and changing to grated or grated side entry pits near the low point of Third Street.
- Installing one new grated side entry pit near 38 Third Street to reduce the load intake at the low point and improve maintenance access
- Asphalt replacement on Third Street, between Keating Street and Central Avenue.
We have decided to implement a large box culvert storage system along with additional pipe drain solution to provide an annual exceedance probability (AEP) of 20% (1 in 5 years rain event). An AEP is the probability of an event occurring in any given year, based on the average timing of events.
Proactive cleaning and maintenance
Our maintenance team has recently cleaned the Council drains, including a special clean for the drains that lead down into Third Street. To support this, we encourage property owners to also ensure regular checks of the drainage system within their property boundary to maximise drainage capacity and efficiency.
Council officers will be on Third Street outside numbers 22 – 24 on Wednesday 2 August, between 3.30pm and 4.30pm to discuss the plans with residents. You're welcome to meet us there to discuss the plans in person or contact us via the details below if you have any questions.
Timeline and next steps
At this stage, we plan to deliver the drainage upgrade between October 2023 – January 2024. Please note that this is a very high-level timeline, pending the outcome of the tender for construction works.
We're prioritising this project and will keep you informed throughout the process. We will contact you by letter when the delivery timing is confirmed.
Should you have any further queries, please get in touch with Asif Faisal, Project Engineer, by phone 03 9599 4685 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for email updates