Fortnightly food and green waste service
We have almost completed the process of changing over lids on green waste bins, from red to light green, signalling the start of food and green waste collection.
If you still have a red-lidded bin or did not receive a caddy and compostable bags then you can use our report a problem form.
Not registered for food and green waste yet?
Please note, if you already have a red-lidded green waste bin or your lid has been changed to light green then you do not need to register again.
What goes in your food and green waste bin
- Bread, pasta, cereal and rice
- Coffee grounds and loose leaf tea
- Cooking oil
- Dairy leftovers including cheese
- Egg shells
- Fruit, citrus and vegetable scraps
- Garden prunings
- Grass clippings
- Meat and bones
- Paper towels, newspaper and tissues
- Seafood including shells
- Small branches
If you are using bags to hold your food and green waste, please ensure they are compostable (AS4736) and not biodegradable or plastic bags. This will ensure your food and green waste is composted successfully.
Weekly garbage service
Remember, everything that you place in your garbage bin goes to landfill. Minimise your waste by using food and green waste and recycling.
What goes in your garbage bin
- Broken drinking or window glass
- Broken pyrex and ceramics
- Cigarette butts
- Dog and cat droppings and kitty litter
- Glossy, waxed or coated paper
- Icy pole sticks
- Face masks
- Plastic bags and other soft plastics (can also be taken to major supermarkets, Bayside City Council Corporate Centre (76 Royal Avenue, Sandringham) and Beaumaris Library)
- Plastic, biodegradable or compostable cutlery and plates
- Sticky labels off fruit and vegetables
- Takeaway coffee cups and lids (including biodegradable or compostable)
- Tetra Pak cartons
- Vacuum dust
Fortnightly recycling service
What goes in your blue-lidded recycling bin
- Aluminium foil and cans, steel cans and trays
- Glass bottles and jars
- Paper and cardboard
- Plastics numbered 1-7 (except for expanded polystyrene/styrofoam - labelled '6')
Tips for getting your recycling right
- Place items loosely in your recycling bin. Do not put items in plastic bags.
- If you can scrunch plastic, it is considered a soft plastic and it can’t go in your recycling bin.
- Scrunch aluminium foil into a ball.
- Empty out any leftover food but do not worry about rinsing.
- It’s okay to leave the lid and labels on your recycling.
- E-waste is NOT accepted in your kerbside collection and can be taken to an e-waste collection point, such as the Bayside Waste and Recycling Centre or returned to the store it was purchased from.
- Car batteries can be disposed of at the Bayside Waste and Recycling Centre
- Paint can be disposed of at the Bayside Waste and Recycling Centre
- Dirt, rubble or soil can be disposed of at the Bayside Waste and Recycling Centre
- Chemicals can be disposed of via Sustainability Victoria's Detox Your Home program.
Couldn't find the item you were looking for?