- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1-2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin and coriander or curry powder or your favourite spice mixture
- 1 kg peelings, trims and ends such as potato, carrot, pumpkin skin and seeds, cauliflower leaves and stalks, broccoli stalks, cabbage leaves (from the outside), zucchini ends, parsnip ends, celery leaves, parsley stems, spring onion ends and tops, bruised apples, bruised tomatoes etc
- 125ml white or red wine or orange juice (optional)
- 1.5 litres stock or water
- 2 cups rice (white, Basmati, Arborio) or 4 potatoes, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500ml coconut milk, evaporated milk or cream
In a large heavy based pan add the oil, onions and garlic. Cook this mixture over a low heat, stirring for 7 minutes or until golden. Add the spices and cook stirring until fragrant. Take care not to burn
Meanwhile, place the off cuts, peelings all the bits and bobs into a colander and wash very very well. Drain well. Add the peelings and off cuts to the pot and stir. Cook stirring and tossing for about 5 minutes, sprinkle in some water to add moisture during this time. When the mixture starts to soften, add the wine or orange juice – cook stirring until it evaporates.
Add the stock and bring to the boil, stir well. Reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add the rice and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally for another 20 minutes.
Puree to the desired consistency, return to the pot, add the milk or cream and season well.
Bring to the boil, season again if needed and serve.
This soup can be frozen in sealed bags or containers for up to 3 months.
Serve with the savoury cheese biscuits.