fbpx Your rates valuation explained | Bayside City Council Go to top of page

Your rates valuation explained

The Valuer-General Victoria is responsible for valuations which are used to calculate your yearly rates total.

These valuations are now undertaken annually to more accurately reflect changes to your property values. Prior to 2019, valuations were completed every two years.

Valuations are effective as of the 1 January each year - in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act 1960 legislation and the Valuation Best Practice Specifications legislation.

Valuations for 2019/2020

Why has the rates valuation process changed?

For transparency and efficiency, the Valuer-General Victoria is now responsible for valuations rather than local council.

All states and territories now have the same statutory valuation authority responsible for delivering rating and taxation valuations.

Why are valuations now done annually?

Annual valuations, rather than biennial valuations, are expected to improve transparency and accuracy in the distribution of rates.

The move to annual valuations aims to ensure consistency with any changes in valuations on your rates notice and Land tax valuations.

Why has my valuation decreased while my rates have increased?

Your valuation may have decreased by less than the Bayside average, or it may have increased by more than the Bayside average. 

However, your rates may have increased for various reasons, such as:

  • Your valuation may have changed (a change in valuation can also impact your Fire Service Levy)
  • You may have changed your waste service.
  • Your pensioner concession eligibility may have changed.

If you want to make an enquiry regarding your rates payments please contact us on 9599 4444.

The property market has declined - why hasn't my valuation decreased?

Your property value may not have decreased in line with the wider market at the point when valuations were set.

Valuations are relevant as at 1 January of each year. These valuations are based on sales activity leading up to and close to this relevant date. 

If you wish to object to the valuation applied, you must do so within two months after the annual notice has been issued.

Make an enquiry about your rates valuation

How is a "Council valuation" different to other valuations?

The valuations on your rates notice has been assigned by the Valuer-General Victoria.

Valuations on your rate notice are established on 1 January and do not reflect the current market conditions today.

How does a valuer determine the valuations for my property?

Qualified valuers analyse all sales that occur between revaluations to determine the new valuations. These are then applied to each individual property in Bayside. 

All 2019 valuations are relevant as at 1 January and are set in accordance with the Valuation Best Practice Specifications Guidelines (DOCX, 3.44MB).

Each property is allocated an Australian Valuation Property Classification Code (AVPCC). This code is linked with a land use classification which is used for Fire Levy calculation purposes.

For any further queries regarding your rates, you can make an enquiry about your rates valuation or contact our Revenue Department on (03) 9599 4444.

What does a "Supplementary Valuation" mean?

In certain circumstances valuations may be performed in between general annual valuations. This is referred to as a "Supplementary Valuation".

A supplementary valuation can be conducted as a result of one of the following:

  • Any change to the physical characteristics of your property:
    • Examples of this may be where a dwelling/shop/warehouse has been built, demolished or altered;
    • Other examples of this may be where land is subdivided, portions of land are sold off or rezoned.
    • A change to the use of the property.

When is a Supplementary Valuation effective for rating?

The effective date of a valuation is deemed to be the date supplied to us on which triggers a change in valuation.

For example, Certificates (such as final inspection, occupancy permits or demolition permits) are issued by the relevant building and are lodged with us and are used by the Contract Valuer to assess the supplementary valuation.

I have demolished my house. When can I expect a new notice?

We are guided by the relevant documentation supplied by your building or land surveyor to identify the need for a supplementary valuation to commence.

When we have received the appropriate information, this is referred to the Contract Valuer to assess any amendments required to a valuation. A "Supplementary Valuation notice" will then be issued.

Please contact the Revenue Department (03) 9599 4444 for more information.

How will annual valuations impact my Land Tax?

All valuations are now provided to the State Revenue Office (SRO) by the Valuer-General Victoria.

Land tax notices received with your 2019/2020 valuation should be referred to the State Revenue Office (SRO).

If you have received a Land Tax notice and have concerns regarding the Valuation applied, you must contact the State Revenue Office (SRO) as the first point of contact. 

Visit the State Revenue Office's website


How do I object to my valuation?

It is recommended that owners make enquiries with us first to discuss their valuations.

Making an initial enquiry prior to lodging a formal objection could provide a clearer understanding of your valuation without going through the objection process, saving you time and effort.

Make a rates valuation enquiry

If you are still concerned by your property valuation you may object to the valuation.

Find out more information about the objection process.

When do I need to make a valuation objection by?

If you (or an Authorised Representative) wishes to formally object, you must complete and lodge an objection form within 2 months of the date of issue shown on your rates notice.

Objections received after this date will not be considered.

How do I submit a formal objection?

All Valuation objections must be submitted in writing. 

If you wish to send a copy of the Objection form via post PO Box 27, Sandringham VIC 3191.

To discuss your valuation you can make an enquiry about your rates valuation or call our Revenue Department on (03) 9599 4444.

Find out more information about the objection process.

Make a rates valuation enquiry