Skip to main content

Pensioner concession for rates

Victorian home owners with eligible concession cards can claim a deduction on Council rates for their principle place of residence.  This concession offers a discount on municipal rates up to a yearly maximum of $253.20 for 2023-24.


To be able to claim a concession on your rates and charges you must ensure that:

  • You have one of the eligible concession cards and your card is valid at the time of application.
  • You are the person responsible for payment of the account.
  • Your name is on the rate notice.
  • Your name and address on the account must match that on the concession card, and the address must be your principal place of residence.

Eligible cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card - Issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card - War Widow/er (WW)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card - Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

Please note that health care and seniors cards are not accepted.

Apply for the concession

Please complete the application form and include a copy of the front of your concession card.

Municipal rates concession application form (pdf)

Municipal Rates Concession accessible application form (Word)

Email your application to:

Post your application to: Bayside City Council, PO Box 27, Sandringham VIC 3191

EDA & POW card holders 

Holders of Veteran's Affairs' Gold Cards given for Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA) or  Prisoner of War (POW) should phone the Concession information line on 1800 658 521 (toll free) for an application form or download the application from the DFFH website below.  The Victorian Government provides this concession directly to these cardholders.  The form should be completed and sent to DFFH at the address listed on the form. 

The Fire Services Property Levy Act 2012 provides a $50 concession on an eligible (EDA) and (POW) cardholder’s principal place of residence for the fire services levy. Please contact Revenue Services on 9599 4444 for further information. 

More information

Please go to Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH) website

Bayside City Council offer a rates rebate for all ratepayers who hold a valid pension card or DVA card. The ratepayer must be living in their primary place of residence and the address on the rates notice must match the address on the card.

Eligible Cards

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Veterans' Affairs Gold Card (given for TPI, War Widow, EDA or POW)


Please click the link to see eligible cards for municipal rates concession.

Concession Card Eligibility




Municipal Rates Concession Application Form PDF

Municipal Rates Concession Application Form Word

Email your application to:

Post your application to: Bayside City Council, PO Box 27, Sandringham VIC 3191