Walking your dog in Bayside
Find out where to walk your dog on and off leash, plus your rights and responsibilities when out and about with your furry friend.
For example: 'Sandringham Beach'.
When using a mobile device, select the GPS button in the bottom right-hand corner to see the restrictions that apply to your location.
See when sports grounds are allocated to community sport, including training and games.
Things to remember when walking your dog
- It is an offence not to take sufficient bags with you and pick up after your dog.
- Dispose of dog poo in the public bins provided or at home. It is an offence to put waste in another resident's bin.
- Always walk your dog on leash, unless in a designated off leash area.
- You can only walk up to four dogs at once.
- Dogs are prohibited entry to some parks and reserves, check signage before entry.
- Make sure your dog is wearing its Council registration tag.
- Dogs must be on a chain, cord or leash if the dog is within 20 metres of:
- a children’s play equipment area
- an area where a public meeting is being held
- a permanently designated barbeque and picnic area
- an on-leash signed lake or pond
- an area where an organised sporting event is taking place.
- Dogs must be on leash in all car parks.
- It is still your responsibility to take bags and pick up after your dog.
- Owners must have effective control of their dog at all times. You must be able to recall your dog promptly and place it back on a leash if the need arises.