Skip to main content

Parking fines

If you have received a parking fine, you can view the infringement details including any photos that may have been taken. This information can help you decide on what action to take to resolve your fine.

What do I need to search for my fine?

You will need the infringement number and vehicle registration number.

Search for your fine

If you have lost your infringement notice, please contact our infringement team on (03) 9599 4663.

Why don't I have any photos?

If the infringement details are showing without any photos, it is most likely that the officer has not taken any on this occasion. Officers are not required to take photos by law. 

The fine is still valid if there are no photos or photos are of a poor quality.

Why is my search showing 'no results found'?

If you have received a fine in the last 24 hours, the information may not be in our system yet. 

Why do we take pictures?

We collect photographs of vehicles that have received a parking fine for breaching the Victorian Road Rules. This is done to document the offence and assist with the subsequent review or prosecution of a fine. While our officers take all reasonable steps to ensure that faces are not captured in photographs, this is not always possible.

These images are only accessible by Bayside City Council staff and vehicle owners and are governed by our privacy statement.

View your parking fine

View your fine

Have you recently received an infringement notice from us? You can learn about the grounds to have your fine reviewed.

All reviews must

  • Be made via our online form or in writing. Requests made in person or over the phone cannot be accepted
  • Fit one of the grounds of review

You are only permitted to make one request to have your fine reviewed.

Grounds for review

The Infringements Act 2006 provides the 5 following grounds for review.

1. Exceptional Circumstances

Verifiable and unforeseen circumstances outside of your control that could excuse your conduct. For example, a medical emergency or vehicle breakdown.

2. Contrary to law

This is when you believe the infringement notice is not valid or you didn’t commit an offence.

3. Special Circumstances

If you have any of the circumstances outlined below, you may be eligible to apply for a review of your fines under Special Circumstances.

These circumstances are very specific. You can only apply if you can show that:

  • you committed the offence in part because you:
    • had a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness
    • had a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or a volatile substance
    • were homeless
    • were affected by family violence, OR
  • you cannot deal with your fines because of severe disabling long-term circumstances, even if those circumstances did not exist at the time of the offence.
Special circumstances linked to your offending behaviour

You must show a link between your special circumstances and your offending behaviour.

If you have a mental illness, intellectual disability, or a serious substance addiction, you need to provide evidence of how this reduced your capacity to:

  • understand your behaviour was against the law, or
  • control your behaviour (even if you knew it was against the law).

If you are homeless or a victim of family violence, you need to provide evidence of how this reduced your capacity to control your behaviour (even if you knew it was against the law).

If your fines resulted from family violence, you may be able to apply under the Family Violence Scheme.

Long-term circumstances linked to your ability to deal with your fine

If you are not able to deal with your fine due to severe disabling long-term circumstances, you need to provide evidence that your circumstances:

  • are long term and severe, disabling or incapacitating, and
  • relate mostly to issues other than financial hardship, and
  • make it impracticable or unfeasible for you to deal with your fine by:
    • paying in full
    • paying in instalments
    • completing activities or treatment under a Work and Development Permit
    • applying for the Family Violence Scheme.

Examples include:

  • long-term involuntary mental health care
  • severe physical or intellectual disability.
Who can prepare your supporting evidence?

You must provide evidence from a practitioner or agency who is familiar with your circumstances. Depending on your circumstances, this may be your:

  • doctor or medical specialist
  • psychiatrist or psychologist
  • social worker or case worker
  • accredited drug treatment agency or drug counsellor
  • financial counsellor
  • recognised health, support or welfare agency (for example, the Salvation Army).

Evidence may include, reports, letters, statements, submissions, statutory declarations, police reports and family violence safety notices.

What is required in your report?

Your practitioner or agency report should include:

  • your practitioner's qualifications
  • your practitioner's relationship with you and how long they have known you
  • an explanation of your circumstances, including its nature, severity, duration, and impact on your life
  • the link between your circumstances and your offending behaviour.  

In the case of severe, disabling long-term circumstances, the report should also include information on the link between your circumstances and your inability to deal with the fine.

We may ask you for more information to help determine your application.

Your evidence should be signed and dated within 12 months of the date of your application. You can provide evidence that is older than 12 months if it relates to a permanent condition, such as an intellectual disability.

4. Mistake of identity

The fine was issued to the incorrect person or vehicle. For example, you weren't in the alleged location or the incorrect registration was recorded.

5. Person Unaware

A request made on these grounds must:

  • Be made within 14 days of you becoming aware of the infringement notice. You may evidence the date that you became aware of the infringement notice by executing a statutory declaration.
  • State the grounds on which the decision should be reviewed.
  • Provide your current address for service.

When submitting your request for a review, please keep in mind that for us to withdraw your fine where something unexpected occurred, we will require additional documentation which supports your reasons outlined in your request.

Possible Outcomes

Possible outcomes following decision on review of an application for internal review, in accordance with the Infringements Act 2006

  • Confirm the decision to serve an infringement notice
  • Withdraw the infringement notice and serve an official warning
  • Withdraw the infringement notice
  • Withdraw the infringement notice and refer the matter to Court (Magistrates’ or Children’s Court, as applicable)
  • Waive all or any prescribed costs, or
  • Approve a payment plan.

In some cases, it may be appropriate to do a combination of the actions above, in so far as this is possible.

Apply for an infringement review

See also

Find out about your rights and responsibilities and how to request an infringement review.

Who can apply for a parking fine to be reviewed?

  • The registered owner
  • The driver responsible for the vehicle at the time of the offence
  • A person who has been formally nominated as the driver or
  • An authorised representative 

Can I see my infringement details?

You can view the infringement details including any photos that may have been taken online. You will need your infringement number and vehicle registration number. This information can help you decide on what action to take to resolve your fine.

View your parking fine

Request a review by mail

To request a review by mail, the following information is required:

  • your name and address
  • your contact telephone number 
  • the infringement number
  • your vehicle registration number
  • an explanation or appeal 

Your appeal will be reviewed by our Infringement Review team and an answer will be sent in writing, to the return contact details provided with your application.

If you were not the person in control of the vehicle at the time of the infringement, you will need to fill in an operator owner onus form (PDF, 626.02KB) supplying us with the name and address of the person that was in control of the vehicle at the time of offence.

Send your application to:
The Appeals Officer
Bayside City Council
PO Box 27
Sandringham VIC 3191

Submit an infringement review request using our online form

Apply for an infringement review

Were you not in possession or control of the vehicle at the time of the offence?

You can nominate the person who was in possession or control of the vehicle via our online form.

Nominate another driver for a parking fine

Request to be heard in court

You must be the registered owner of the vehicle to complete this request. You can decline to be dealt with under these enforcement provisions, and request to have the matter dealt with by a court.

Request to be heard in court

Payment arrangements

Looking for an alternative payment arrangement? You can request an extension to the existing due date, or you can request to go onto a payment plan.

Request an alternative payment arrangement

Make a payment

Pay a fine

Further information regarding infringements

For further Information in regard to infringement reviews please visit Fines Victoria

Fines Victoria