Skip to main content

In extreme weather conditions, flooding may occur. Find out who to contact and how to be prepared.

Be prepared

If a flood warning has been issued, it is important to be prepared and to be aware of the situation.

During a flood, tune in to your local emergency broadcaster: ABC Local Radio, Commercial Radio, designated Community Radio Stations and SKY News Television. Your emergency broadcaster will keep you informed of local events. You can also see all current weather warning at

You can find out how to prepare for flooding at the State Emergency Service (SES) website

Flooding on your property

If flooding is affecting your property you can contact the SES on 13 25 00.  Find out more on being flood safe at


Sandbags will not stop the water completely, but can reduce the amount of water entering your home.

During low level flooding, sandbags placed in the right locations around your home can reduce the impact of flooding. As little as 25 sandbags can reduce the damage to your home built on a slab. It is not necessary to place a sandbag wall around your house to provide protection.


Where to get sandbags?

Sandbags or similar products can be purchased from many hardware or garden supply stores.

If a major flooding event happens, the SES may arrange sandbag collection points for the public.

Read more about sandbag collection points on

Flooding or hazards on Council property

If extreme weather has created hazards or flooding on Council property, you should call us on (03) 9599 4444 and press 1. This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What is Council property?

These include:

  • footpaths
  • local roads (VicRoads maintains main arterial roads)
  • nature strips including trees
  • parks and reserves
  • storm water drains on kerb or roads.