In extreme weather conditions, flooding may occur. Find out who to contact and how to be prepared.
If a flood warning has been issued, it is important to be prepared and to be aware of the situation.
You can see weather warnings at The Bureau of Meteorology website.
You can find out how to prepare for flooding at the State Emergency Service (SES) website.
Flooding on your property
If flooding is affecting your property you can contact the SES on 13 25 00. Find out more on being flood safe.
Sandbags will not stop the water completely, but can reduce the amount of water entering your home.
During low level flooding, sandbags placed in the right locations around your home can reduce the impact of flooding. As little as 25 sandbags can reduce the damage to your home built on a slab. It is not necessary to place a sandbag wall around your house to provide protection.
Read more at the State Emergency Service (SES) website.
Where to get sandbags?
Sandbags or similar products can be purchased from many hardware or garden supply stores.
If a major flooding event happens, the SES may arrange sandbag collection points for the public.
Read more about sandbag collection points.
Flooding or hazards on Council property
If extreme weather has created hazards or flooding on Council property, you should call us on (03) 9599 4444 and press 1. This line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What is Council property?
- local roads (VicRoads maintains main arterial roads (listed below)
- nature strips including trees
- parks and reserves
- storm water drains on kerb or roads.
Arterial roads in Bayside
Report issues with arterial roads directly to the Department of Transport
Department of Transport manages all maintenance on the main arterial roads in Bayside. This includes:
- road signs
- kerb and channel
- road opening permits on the arterial road surface
- dead animals
- all trees on the central median (except on South Road).
The roads managed by VicRoads in Bayside are:
- Balcombe Road, Black Rock to Beaumaris
- Bay Road, Sandringham to Cheltenham
- Beach Road, Brighton to Beaumaris
- Bluff Road, Hampton to Black Rock
- Centre Road, Brighton East
- Cummins Road, Brighton East
- Glen Huntly Road, Brighton
- Hampton Street, Brighton East to Hampton
- Hawthorn Road, Brighton East
- Nepean Highway, Brighton to Hampton East
- North Road, Brighton to Brighton East
- St Kilda Street, Brighton
- South Road, Brighton to Brighton East
- The Esplanade, Brighton