Skip to main content

Who can I talk to about family violence?

Family violence is difficult to talk about, but support is there for you. Confidential help is available to make you safe and put you in control of the support your receive. 

Abuse can come in various forms, from control to physical violence, and while women are the most common victims, men can also be sufferers.

Where to go for urgent help

If you have been threatened or you are fearful for yourself, a child or family member – call police on 000.

If you want to talk through your situation, contact Safe Steps Centre on 1800 015 188 or one of the other support services listed below.

What happens when I call a support service?

Calling a support service can be a big step so it's understandable if you feel anxious. The important thing to remember is that your call is confidential and you are in control of the support you receive.

You can call a support service to get to know the types of help they provide and to make sure you feel comfortable dealing with them.

What if I know someone who might be experiencing family violence?

If you know or suspect someone you know is experiencing family violence, the support you provide will be incredibly helpful.

It is important that you approach your friend or relative in a sensitive way. Tell them you’re concerned and then explain why. Listen without judging, respect their decisions, and help them to find ways to become stronger and safer.

If you know the abusive family member, be careful. Don’t place yourself in a position where the person who is being abusive could harm or manipulate you.

Don’t try to intervene directly if you witness a person being assaulted – call the police on 000 instead.

If you need help in determining the most appropriate response, one of the support services listed below can help you decide what to do.

How does the Safe Steps Centre work?

When you call the Safe Steps Centre you will speak to a specialist family violence support worker. They will try to understand your situation and explore your options. They will work with you to develop a plan to ensure the safety of you and your children(family?).

If you agree, they can also connect you with other support services to help you live free from violence.

What other types of support are available?

If you decide to be supported, you may be offered the following:

  • Emergency accommodation

  • Help with your material needs and transport

  • Support with an intervention order

  • Centrelink support

  • Help with home security

  • Legal and other service support

What do I do if English is not my first language?

If you would prefer to speak to someone in your native language please contact the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450. Immediate phone interpreting is available 24 hours, every day of the year.

Services available at any time

Service name Phone Online How they help
Safe Steps Centre 1800 015 188 Safe Steps website Provides support, advice and explores options.
1800RESPECT Counselling Service 1800 737 732 1800RESPECT website Confidential information, counselling and support service.
Men’s Line Australia 1300 789 978 Men's Line website Phone and online counselling service for men with family and relationship concerns. 
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800 Kids Helpline website Phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25.

Bayside services

These are located in Bayside and do not have after-hours services. They can provide a close location to discuss your situation.

Service name Phone Address How they help
Family Life 8599 5433 197 Bluff Road, Sandringham They help people address and overcome the trauma of family violence.
Bayside Community Information and Support Service (BayCISS)

Hampton east: 9555 6560 or 9555 9910

Hampton: 9598 0662.

12 Katoomba Street Hampton East They offer support and counselling services
Star Health 9684 4281   Family violence counselling for women and children. Men’s behaviour change program.

Please be aware that some of these phone numbers may show up on your phone record. If you are concerned that someone might be keeping track of who you call then you may want to call from a public phone.