Things you should know before you apply:
- By submitting an application, you are accepting the Terms and Conditions associated with the use of a public space area and accept the Fees and Charges associated with your event including cancellation fees.
- There are no refunds issued due to inclement weather.
- If you wish to cancel your booking, you must do so in writing before the intended date of your event.
- We have a number of Frequently Asked Questions that will provide you with additional information.
- Our significant sites include;
- Brighton Town Hall Gardens
- Kamesburgh Gardens
- Billilla Gardens
Casual Community Hire
|Unit Fee Rate
|Significant Sites (full day)
|Significant Sites (half day, 4 hours or less)
|Other sites (full day)
|Other Sites (half day, 4 hours or less)
Weddings and Functions
|First 2 hours
|First 2 hours
|Additional Hour - Significant Site
|Additional Hour - Other Site
|Functions - including Wedding Receptions
|Commercial Sporting Clinics
|Not-for-profit Sporting Clinics
Casual Commercial Hire
All Hire Groups and Sites
(per day or part thereof)
|Balloon Landings and Departures
|Helicopter Landings and Departures
Personal Trainers Permits
Per financial year
|Annual Licence Fee
No more than 1 location per permit and 10 people per group
Per Vehicle Per Day
|Must still abide by the time limit restrictions
Late Submissions or Changes
|Late Submission/Change Fee
|Any permit submission or change requested less than 10 days prior to booking date
|Cancellation fee for any booking
(over 4 weeks from the booking date)
|Cancellation fee for any booking
(between 2 and 4 weeks from the booking date)
|Cancellation fee for any booking
(less than 2 weeks from the booking date)
- All fees and charges must be paid prior to the event permit being issued.
- All cancellations must be made in writing prior to the day filming was to occur. Notifications of cancellation after the proposed date has passed will not be valid and all payment requirements will still be enforced with no refunds issued.
- There are no refunds available due to inclement weather.
- Council does not waive, refund or negotiate fees after the date of the activity has passed.
- Council reserves the right to deny or terminate a permit at any time at their discretion.
Structures and Amenities
No park amenities, structures or barbeques can be booked.
No park barbeques can be booked. For more information on where our public BBQ's are in Bayside, please check out our public BBQ map.
Rotunda / Undercover Areas
No park structures, playgrounds or undercover areas can be booked.
The only exception is the Sandringham Band Rotunda, which can be booked for weddings only.
All facilities are available on a 'first in, best dressed' situation. Obtaining a permit for use of open space does not grant exclusive access to an area.
Sportsgrounds are not able to be booked on a causal basis.
Sportsgrounds are not able to be booked on a causal basis. If you wish to book a sportsground for school use, please see the Apply to use a sportsground for school form.
Required and Requested Documents
When completing the booking you may be asked to supply the following documents:
A description outlining what is happening on the day: What is the activity or celebration for? Are there any structures or equipment going to be used? Include timings for set up, guest arrival, and pack up.
The name/s of the person responsible for the set up and on-day management must be provided as part of the application process.
A site plan can be a simple image of the area you propose to use, as well as where equipment and infrastructure will be set up.
A high level list detailing what equipment will be on site on the day of the event, i.e. number of chairs, tables, any marquees or stages.
- Maximum 100 chairs, 10 tables, and one 3x3 marquee – if an event is in excess of any of these limits an event permit is required
- No jumping castles – an event permit is required for any use of inflatable objects
- No balloons – refer to the sustainability guidelines
If your activity includes catering, you may need to submit a Statement of Trade and a copy of the Caterers Victorian Food Act Registration.
Key Reference Documents
- Open space terms and conditions ( PDF, 340.53KB)
- For information on Council's policy on alcohol harm minimisation please refer to the Bayside Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan (PDF)
- Bayside wedding guide (PDF, 5.91MB)
Please read through carefully before applying to use an open space
Condition of venue
The Hirer agrees and acknowledges that the venue and/or reserve is in good repair and clean condition at the commencement of the hire period and must be returned to the Bayside City Council (Council) in the same condition at the end of the hire period.
The Hirer shall reimburse Council f or the cost of any reinstatement or repairs occasioned as a result of any damage to property resulting from the conduct of the function and any associated activities.
Due care is to be exercised at all times, with the protection of all natural vegetation and geographical features in the area being a prime consideration.
If the Hirer causes damage, Council retains the rig ht to withhold part or all of the security deposit towards the cost of repair and/or reinstatement. If no security deposit is held, Council retains the right to invoice the Hirer the full cost of repair and/or reinstatement.
Brighton Beach Gardens: Green Point, Brighton
It is the responsibility of the Event Organiser to erect a one meter exclusion zone around the Cenotaph for any event conducted at the southern end of the Brighton Beach Gardens: Green Point.
Homestead and veranda (where applicable)
All users are advised that the veranda and homestead at Kamesburgh Gardens, Billilla Gardens and Black Rock
House are not available f or the hirer’s access or use. The house and veranda do not form part of your booking.
The use of any portable, freestanding signs on or above any roadway, footpath or public place without prior approval from the responsible manager is prohibited.
The Hirer shall have regard to any lawful direction or instruction given by an authorised officer of the Council in relation to the conduct of the function. All Council Local Laws must be complied with at all times.
Amplification equipment / noise
The use of any amplification equipment shall be kept to a level prescribed by the Environment Protection Act (72 decibels and must not disturb other users).
Litter generated shall be removed from the site immediately after the event. Confetti and petals are considered litter and should not be used. If the site is left in an unclean condition following usage, the Council retains the right to withhold part or all of the security deposit towards the cost of clean-up.
Requests for casual use should be on the appropriate online application form. Once received a confirmation letter and permit will be forwarded to you. A $200 deposit may be required for open space bookings. The deposit is to be paid within 14 days of receiving your booking confirmation. If payment is not received within this time, the booking may be cancelled.
You must declare all relevant facts on your booking application, in order for Council to assess the application. If you fail to do so, your booking may be revoked without notice and Council will not be held liable for any damages or losses incurred.
Applications must be received by Council at least 5 business days prior to the booking date. All bookings are subject to availability, suitability and completely at Council’s discretion.
The Hirer uses and occupies the area at their own risk and releases the Council from all claims resulting from any damage, loss, death or injury in connection with the open space used.
The Hirer must indemnify and hold harmless the Council against all claims resulting from any damage, loss, death or injury in connection with the open space used and the use, and occupation of the open space by the casual user.
This clause does not apply if the hirer has purchased public liability insurance through Bayside City Council.
Council will not be held liable f or any losses should Council cancel or revoke the booking.
Where a key is required, for an approved use, this must be collected from Reception at the Bayside City Council Corporate Centre, 76 Royal Ave Sandringham, on the last working day prior to booking.
The key must be collected, by prior arrangement, during business hours, 8.30am to 5pm. It must be returned the first working day following the booking. A fully refundable key deposit of $50.00 per key is required.
It is the Hirer’s responsibility to ensure that bollards are safe and secured after removal and they are returned and secured at the end of the hire period. Council retains the right to invoice the Hirer the full cost of repair and/or reinstatement for any loss.
Vehicles / parking
Vehicles may only be permitted to be taken onto Council reserves and parks with the prior approval of the Responsible Manager. This approval is only extended to those vehicles essential f or the conduct of the approved activity (e.g. wedding party, film crew, disabled access). The Responsible Manager reserves the right to revoke this approval in certain weather conditions.
The permit does not include parking fees or permission to park contrary to any restriction.
Liquor and food
Between sunset and sunrise, a person must not, on any Municipal Reserve, whether it be a Road within a Municipal Reserve or not, or in any motor vehicle within a Municipal Reserve, consume any Liquor, or have in his or her possession or control, any Liquor, other than Liquor in a container with an unbroken seal.
No alcohol or food can be served as part of a commercial arrangement without the necessary approval from Council.
Marquees and other portable structures
Bayside City Council may require a Security Deposit of $500 if a portable structure and/or other infrastructure is to
be located on the site. The Security Deposit will be refunded by cheque within f our (4) week s after the function,
subject to the site being left in a satisfactory condition.
No ground penetration securing system or device is permitted at parks with irrigation systems.
A current Certificate of Currency of the supplier’s Public Liability insurance for a minimum of $20 million must be provided to Bayside City Council prior to approval being granted.
Booking BBQ’s, park structures and amenities
Apart from the Sandringham Rotunda, no park amenities, structures or BBQ’s can be booked.
Please ensure that all users connected with your booking conduct themselves with due respect and consideration of others with regard to shrines, memorials, park furniture, structures and amenities.
- If a booking is cancelled less than four (4) weeks prior to the event or function 50% of the deposit will be forfeited.
- If a booking is cancelled less than two (2) weeks prior to the event or function 100% of the deposit will be forfeited.
- If a New Year’s Eve booking is cancelled in less than 90 days prior to the event or function, 100% of the deposit will be forfeited.
- A $105.40 cancellation fee will apply to all cancellations greater than 4 weeks prior to the event or function.
- The Council may cancel any letting already agreed and direct the return of the deposit and rent paid and the Hirer hereby agrees in that case to accept the same and to be held to have consented to such cancellation, and to abandon any claim (if any) at law in equity for any loss or damage in consequence thereof
- All cancellations or changes to bookings must be in writing.
Filming and photography
If filming and photography is directly related to the booking and the images will not be publicly exhibited, then no permit is required.
All other filming or photography that is conducted for commercial purposes or for public exhibition must not be undertaken on land that is managed by Council without a permit.