Skip to main content

How do I get my asset protection refund?

When applying for an Asset Protection Permit, a security bond deposit is paid at this time. This security bond is refunded at the end of the process, once it is confirmed that all assets have not been damaged as a result of the building and construction works. Find out how to obtain your security bond refund. 

When can I claim my refund?

Claim your security bond refund as soon as all building and construction activities have been completed, and you are satisfied that all public assets are in their original condition.

What is the refund process?

  1. Inform us when you have completed your works by completing the asset protection final inspection and bond refund application form. Once completed please email to
  2. We will inspect the site and the condition of the asset/s and advise if further remedial works are required:
    • If further remedial works are required, you can undertake the works yourself, or if you fail to do so within an agreed timeframe, we will undertake the works and deduct the cost from your security deposit
  3. Once the assets are deemed to be in satisfactory condition, we will refund the security deposit (or remaining balance if used to fund remedial works). The refund will take approx. 3 weeks and is returned to the original account where the payment was made. 

Important information regarding your refund

In all instances where the original payment was made online, Council will return the security bond by reversing the original transaction. This also includes the return of all credit card fees charged for the security bond amount.

If original payment was made at our Corporate Centre, then you will need to provide us with the bank account details of the person who made the original payment. Council are unable to return the security deposit to a person who did not make the original payment.  

If payment was made by BPAY through a Tax Invoice, the refund will be processed via a BPAY reversal back to the bank account where it was paid from. Council are unable to return the security deposit to a person who did not make the original payment. If the BPAY information is no longer valid, please provide the bank details of the original payee via the bond refund application form. 

Why can’t I get my full security deposit refunded?

If we deem that public assets have not been repaired to an acceptable condition, we are unable to refund the security deposit until they are fixed to Council standards.

If we are required to undertake remediation works for you, the cost of those works will be deducted from your security deposit and only the balance (if any) will be refunded. If the security deposit does not cover the full cost of the repairs, the property owner will be required to pay the outstanding amount.