Skip to main content

What if i want to make enquiries about an issued building permit or building works commenced? 

Council does not currently issue building permits.  These are issued by a private Building Surveyor, often referred to as a relevant Building Surveyor or RBS. The RBS is responsible by law to ensure that the building permit they have issued and building works constructed are complaint with the Building Act, Building Regulations and all associated Standards and Codes. 

Should you have concerns about a building permit or building works you should direct your enquiries to that RBS or builder, and not Council. If you have concerns about the conduct of the RBS or builder you should direct your enquiries to the Victoria Building Authority, (VBA). The VBA are the responsible authority to deal with the conduct of building practitioners. By law, the contact details of the RBS and builder should be noted on a board attached to the front of the subject property.