When do I need this registration?
Local business owners are required to register a health and beauty business such as hairdresser, beauty salon or tattooing business, including a home or mobile business), under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. Registration is valid from 1 January and expires 31 December each calendar year. This requires annual renewal in November for the following year, except for businesses offering solely hairdressing and/or temporary make up services which are eligible to apply for an “ongoing” registration.
If you plan to sell food or drinks to customers you should also refer to our food business page.
Before you begin
Review and satisfy the personal care and body art premises guidelines to help prepare your business to fit the standard required in this registration.
It will then take about 10 minutes to complete the form and you will need the following information:
- Contact details for the proprietor and the business.
- Business name and premises details.
- Type(s) of service provided at the premises.
- Image or diagrams of the floor plan that is drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100 and showing every part of the premises. Please also indicate specific work processes or use of each room and include the location and type of all fittings, fixtures, finishes, furniture, shelving and so on.
- Visa or Mastercard details to pay the registration fee.
Applications are usually processed within 7 days after being received.
After you submit the application
- An Environmental Health Officer will assess the application.
- We may contact you for more information.
- We'll notify you of the decision on whether or not a registration can be granted.
- A final inspection is required prior to commencing trade.
What happens to my information?