When do I need this registration?
Local business owners are required to register health and beauty business such as hairdresser, beauty salon or tattooing business (including a home-based or mobile premises), under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act. This application is for business owners who are buying an existing health or beauty business.
Hairdressing businesses cannot be transferred because they require the proprietor to apply for a one-off, ongoing registration - complete the opening a new health and beauty registration.
Registration is valid from 1 January and expires 31 December each calendar year. This requires an annual renewal of registration in November for the following year. We will send your renewal of registration notice in November for completion.
Before you begin
Both the existing and new proprietors must sign to confirm the transfer. The new proprietor seeks this approval before completing this form, and attaches a copy of the handover to this form. The existing proprietor should complete the online consent form and the new proprietor will receive an email notification that they can attach to this application to acknowledge this consent.
It takes about 10 minutes to complete the form and you will need the following information:
- Contact details for the business.
- Business name, registration details and class of accommodation.
- Type(s) of service provided at the premises.
- Image or diagram of the floor plan that is drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100 and showing every part of the premises including yards and outbuildings. Please also indicate specific work processes or use of each room and include the location and type of all fittings, fixtures, finishes, furniture, shelving and so on.
- Electronic copy of online consent form email notification or other equivalent scanned document of consent from the existing proprietor.
- Visa or mastercard details to pay the transfer fee.
Applications are usually processed within 7 days after being received.
After you submit the application
- Pay the application fee by Visa or Mastercard.
- An Environmental Health Officer will assess the application.
- We may contact you for more information.
- We'll notify you of the decision on whether or not a permit can be granted.
- A final inspection is required prior to commencing trade.
What happens to my information?