BIG Summer read is a statewide initiative supporting children’s literacy in a fun and engaging way.
This program is aimed at addressing an identified phenomenon known as the “summer slide”, which refers to the loss of literacy skills over the summer holidays when children do not read—estimated on average as the equivalent of two to three months of reading proficiency.
BIG Summer Read
1. Information on how to enter and the prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in this promotion is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
Who can enter
2. Entry is only open to Bayside Library Service members aged 0-18 years of age.
3. Entrants under 18 years old must have parental/guardian approval to enter and further, the parent/guardian of the entrant must read and consent to these Terms and Conditions. Parents/guardians may be required by the Promoter (Bayside City Council) to enter into a further agreement as evidence of consent to the minor entering this promotion.
4. To enter you must have a library card number.
When to enter
5. The competition commences on Thursday 1 December 12:01am (AEDT) and closes on Tuesday 31 January 2023 at 9:00pm (AEDT) (“the Competition Period”).
6. Entries must be received by the Promoter by the competition's close date and time.
How to enter
6. To enter, individuals must complete the following steps during the Promotional Period:
a) Entrants must first register for the BIG Summer Read either online through the Beanstack webpage or App
b) At a minimum, 10 books must be read and logged on Beanstack in order to be eligible for prizes
c) All fields in the submission of entries must be completed and permission granted by a parent or guardian
d) Entries must be submitted within the competition period. Competitions closes 9pm, Tuesday 31 January 2023
7. Competition prizes:
0-8 years: Photoshoot with Alan Moyle and artwork (8x12 matted fine art print and $100 credit towards additional artwork) valued at $435
9-12 years: Neon Light from Electric Confetti valued at $249
13-18 years: Neon Light from Electric Confetti valued at $249
Validity of the prizes cannot be extended, and prizes cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Prizes are subject to terms and conditions as specified.
8. The winners may need to contact or visit businesses directly to book/redeem their prizes. Any ancillary costs associated with redeeming the prizes are not included. Redemption of the prizes is subject to any terms and conditions of the issuer.
9. The prizes must be taken as stated and no compensation will be payable if the winners are unable to use the prizes as stated. If the winners are unable to satisfy these terms and conditions, or a prize is not utilised or able to be taken within the specified timeframe, the prize will be forfeited by the winner and cash will not be awarded in lieu.
10. The prize, or any unused portion of a prize, are not transferable, exchangeable, refundable or redeemable for cash. If any prize (or part of any prize) is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
11. In participating in the prizes, the winners agree to participate and cooperate as required in all editorial activities relating to the promotion, including but not limited to being interviewed and photographed. The winners grant the Promoter a perpetual and nonexclusive license to use such footage and photographs in all media worldwide and the winner will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
How to win
13. Each entrant who has entered the competition over the Competition Period in accordance with clause 2 to 9 will be entered into the running to win. The prize draw will take place at Bayside City Council, 76 Royal Avenue, Sandringham on Wednesday 1 February 2023 at 11:00am (AEDT).
14. The winner will be chosen from a random draw of entries received in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Prizes will be allocated in the order in which they are drawn.
15. The winners will be announced on the Bayside Library Services Facebook account within three business days of the draw. An email will be sent to the winners to request an email address to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond within 14 days of being announced, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and Bayside Library Services shall be entitled to draw another winner in accordance with the process described above (and that winner will have to respond to notification of their win within 14 days or else they will also forfeit their prize). If a winner rejects their prize or the entry is invalid or in breach of these Terms and Conditions, the winner’s prize will be forfeited, and Bayside Library Services shall be entitled to draw another winner.
16. The winners’ first name will be published on the Bayside Library Services Facebook page.
17. The Promoter’s announcement is final, and no correspondence will be entered.
18. The winner must, on request by the Promoters, be able to provide evidence which, to the reasonable satisfaction of the Promoters, demonstrates that the winner is an eligible entrant and has complied with these Terms and Conditions.
19. As a condition of accepting the prize, the winners must sign any legal documentation as and, in the form, required by the Promoter and/or prize suppliers in their absolute discretion, including but not limited to a legal release and indemnity form.
20. The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions or who tampers with the entry process.
21. Winners consent to the Promoter using their name, likeness, image and/or voice (including photograph) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting this promotion (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by the Promoter.
22. If this promotion is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorised intervention or fraud, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law a) to disqualify any entrant; or b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the promotion, as appropriate.
23. Bayside Library Services and associated agencies and companies will take no responsibility for late, lost or misdirected entries, or for prizes damaged or lost in transit.
24. Any cost associated with accessing the promotional website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used.
25. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions limits, excludes or modifies or purports to limit, exclude or modify the statutory consumer guarantees as provided under the Competition and Consumer Act, as well as any other implied warranties under the ASIC Act or similar consumer protection laws in the State and Territories of Australia (“Non-Excludable Guarantees”).
This contest is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram or Facebook. Sharing on social media is suggested, but not required.
Public Libraries Victoria and Beanstack
26. The Promoter is Bayside City Council, 76 Royal Avenue, Sandringham VIC 3191