Our plan for health and wellbeing in Bayside
Bayside's Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan 2021-2025
Bayside's Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan 2021-2025 outlines the health and wellbeing priorities for Bayside City Council over the next 4 years. The plan is an evidence-based, strategic document to guide Council’s planning, policy, and strategic direction in response to improving public health and wellbeing at a local community level.
What are the goals of the Plan?
The Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan reflects the views of the community and how we can best support improved wellbeing within Bayside. This plan meets the requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 whilst streamlining community services planning for health and wellbeing from early childhood, through to youth, adult lives and older years.
The strategy outlines 4 goals and 14 objectives:
Goal 1: Connected and thriving community
- Objective 1.1 Improve community mental wellbeing and resilience
- Objective 1.2 Drive opportunities that build social networks and community connections connections
- Objective 1.3 Increase and support volunteerism
- Objective 1.4 Reduce social isolation and loneliness
Goal 2: Healthy and active community
- Objective 2.1 Increase active and passive physical activity opportunities for all ages and abilities
- Objective 2.2 Improve healthy eating practices
- Objective 2.3 Reduce consumption of alcohol and other drugs
Goal 3: Respectful and safe community
- Objective 3.1 Reduce family violence, violence against women and elder abuse
- Objective 3.2 Improve community attitudes and behaviours towards gender equality and child safety
- Objective 3.3 Promote positive and respectful relationships
- Objective 3.4 Identify opportunities to improve community safety and support crime prevention strategies
Goal 4: Fair and inclusive community
- Objective 4.1 Promote and celebrate community diversity
- Objective 4.2 Ensure access to affordable, appropriate and inclusive services and infrastructure
- Objective 4.3 Minimise health inequalities across groups within the community
The full version of the Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan can be downloaded below.
How will we implement the Plan?
Implementation of the Plan will be driven by two strategic Action Plans which have been designed in partnership with key internal and external stakeholders:
Health and Wellbeing Action Plan
Disability Action Plan (addresses the Disability Act 2006)
Each action plan documents the activities we will undertake to achieve the 4 goals and 14 objectives of the Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan.
The full version of both Action Plans can be downloaded below.
Find out more about disability access and inclusion
Health and wellbeing profile
How healthy are Bayside residents?
The Health and Wellbeing Profile provides a snapshot of data on how healthy and well Bayside residents are.
Did you know?
- The population of Bayside was 106,480 in 2019.
- 83% of Bayside respondents rated their mental health as either very good or excellent.
- 42% of residents are considered overweight.
- 46% of adults drink more than two standard alcoholic drinks two or three times per week.
- 709 cases of family violence were reported in Bayside in 2019-20.
Do you have a question about the Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan?
Please contact Erica Breedon from 8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday on: