Important rules to remember
Remember when booking a hard waste or bundled branch collection:
- Place your hard waste items on the nature strip on the day you make your booking.
- A collection size limit of 4 cubic metres (2m x 2m x 1m) applies.
- Once a booking is made, the hard waste will be collected within 1–4 working days after booking.
- Items must be able to be lifted by 2 people.
- Prunings and branches should be less than 150mm in diameter, 1.8m in length and securely tied in bundles of up to 300mm diameter.
- If a collection was not booked, is non-compliant or not placed out in time, you will receive a notice in your letterbox.
- Properties can make 2 hard waste bookings per year and bookings must be made at least 6 weeks apart.
If you require more than two hard waste collections during a calendar year you can arrange collection directly with our contractor. Charges apply depending on the volume and type of items. Contact Total Waste Solutions on 9555 1970 to organise a quote.
Alternatively hard waste can be dropped off at the Waste and Recycling Centre at 144 Talinga Rd, Cheltenham. Charges apply.
Your hard waste is required to be split into neat piles consisting of:
- general hard waste (including scrap metal items)
- mattress and mattress bases (two mattresses OR one mattress and base)
- electronic waste (including televisions and computers)
- bundled branches (Christmas pine trees included, but only in January)
Items that will be collected
General hard waste
- Metal up to 2m in length (e.g. sinks, tin, scrap iron, spouting).
- Household furniture and fittings. (e.g. chairs, couches, mattresses and wash basins).
- (e.g. household tools, equipment and mowers).
- Toys and sporting goods. (including dismantled playground equipment).
- Carpet and linoleum (must be rolled and tied, and no longer than 2m and limited to 1 cubic metre)
- Timber (no more than 10 pieces, must be neatly tied and not exceeding 2m in length).
- Household appliances and whitegoods (all household appliances and whitegoods; doors from fridges and freezers must be removed).
- Hot water services.
- Prunings and branches less than 150mm in diameter and 1.8 metres in length, securely tied in bundles of up to 300mm diameter.
Items that won't be collected
General hard waste
- Items that are suitable for the household recycling bin, such as cardboard and paper. If the item is too large for the household recycling bin it can be taken to the Waste Transfer and Recycling Centre.
- Waste from industrial and commercial premises.
- Waste from construction, renovation or demolition of domestic buildings.
- Bricks, concrete, stone, clay, fencing, sand or soil.
- Hazardous waste, including asbestos, paints and chemicals.
- Tyres, large car body parts or batteries of any type.
- Unwrapped or broken glass.
- Timber exceeding 2m in length and/or more than 10 pieces.
- Any item longer than 2m and/or too heavy for two people to lift.
- Bagged green waste, clippings, soft plants or weeds.
- Rose bushes or thorny plants, ivy, bamboo, creepers and palm trees.
- Timber, tree stumps or roots.
- Untied branches.
Have you placed a compliant hard waste collection on your nature strip?