Go to top of page

Places of public entertainment (POPEs)

What is a POPE?

A POPE is a building or place used or intended to be used for conducting public entertainment
or a public meeting. This might include:

  • a public assembly building of more than 500m2 or
  • a place of more than 500m2, which may include the erection of a prescribed temporary structure being one of the following:
    • a seating stand for more than 20 persons
    • a marquee of more than 100m2
    • a tent of more than 100m2
    • a booth of more than 100m2
    • a stage or platform of more than 150m2.

What is public entertainment?

Public entertainment refers to an entertainment or meeting to which admission may ordinarily be gained by members of the public.

Examples of public entertainment:

  • circus
  • grand prix
  • rodeo
  • cinema in the park
  • community fair/show (e.g. Melbourne Show)
  • kids carnival
  • community cup
  • live performances (e.g. rock concerts).

Regulations regarding places of public entertainment

The Building Act 1993 requires that an Occupancy Permit be issued before a building or place can be used for a place of public entertainment:

  • which are enclosed or substantially enclosed; or
  • to which admission can be gained by payment of money or the giving of other consideration, and which is used or intended to be used for the purposes of providing public entertainment.

Temporary structures

What is a temporary structure?

As prescribed and defined in the Building Act and Building Regulations, the following are prescribed classes of temporary structures:

  • tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m2
  • seating stands for more than 20 persons
  • stage or platforms (including sky borders and stage wings) exceeding 150m2 in floor area.


These forms are currently being updated on this website due to the introduction of the Building Regulations 2018.

The updated forms are available directly from Council’s Building Department enquiry desk at Council Offices. For further information please contact Council’s Building Surveying Department on (03) 9599 4444.

Application for siting approval temporary structures (PDF, 727.52KB)

Application for occupancy permit (POPE) (PDF, 503.29KB)