fbpx How do I request building information about a property? | Bayside City Council

Online Services Disruption

Some online services and payments, including rates and fines, are unavailable this weekend due to website maintenance. Find out which services and payments are unavailable.
Go to top of page

How do I request building information about a property?

We can help you find building information about a property through a property information certificate or by providing copies of building permit plans and documents.

Building permit plans and documents

We keep copies of building permits and endorsed plans for Bayside.

For a fee, property owners, or neighbours or other third-parties with written consent, can request plans and documents online.

Key information about using this service

  • Records generally date back to 1960.
  • The fee for plan and document retrieval is a non-refundable administration fee.
  • There is no guarantee that plans will be available.
  • Most physical files are stored offsite. A search for building plans can take a minimum of 15 working days from the time application and payment is received.

Property information certificates

For a small fee, you can also request and pay for a property information certificate online.

These can tell you:

Regulation 51 (1)

  • Any permit or certificate of final inspection issued in the last 10 years.
  • Whether a combined allotment can be treated as one, and whether any subdivided building is exempt from having to conform to any particular building regulations.
  • Any current building notice or order that applies to the property (these require owners to undertake works to address non-compliant issues with the building).

Regulation 51 (2)

Whether the land is in an area:

  • Liable to flooding
  • Considered to have a level of bushfire risk
  • Likely to be subject to significant snowfall
  • In a designated termite area
  • That has been designated for use or works

Regulation 51 (3)

  • Dates that inspections and approvals were carried out in accordance with the mandatory notification stages for building work done on that building or land.